STILL TO DO: “Run-On
Sentences and Comma Splice” HANDOUT
Today’s Agenda
· Attendance
·
HANDOUT
NEW ARTICLE “Bike-sharing programs can help cities reduce
emissions and congestion”, crossword and Thought Questions
CUT OFF ON THE PHOTOCOPY Crossword 3 DOWN high-energy
We will begin this next Tuesday, October 13th.
· Continue complex
sentences- adverb clauses
Exercises-
practice
Choose
vocabulary for Quiz 3 Wednesday
· IF TIME Verb tense
exercises
· IF TIME Continue verb
tense- present progressive
Wednesday
· Quiz 3- adverb
clauses
· Continue verb tense-
past progressive
·
Thursday
· Return everything
Opportunity
for RWs
· Prepare for midterm
recommendations
Talk
about midterm rec process
Brief
one-on-one meetings
Discuss
your progress so far based on PLOs
Emerging,
Developing, Proficient, Extending
· Continue verb tenses
Friday
· No or very little
teaching today- student/instructor midterm recommendation meetings
· “Self-Assessment
Reflection” Week 5
· Vocabulary exercises
· Midterm
recommendations- alphabetical order
Monday- October 12 NO
SCHOOL- Thanksgiving Monday
Tuesday
· Continue complex
sentences
· Continue verb tenses
· Begin new article “Bike-sharing programs can help cities reduce missions and congestion”
**
Continue complex
sentences- adverb clauses
Exercises- practice
MODEL
*unless – opposite of
‘if’
We will go to see the
movie tonight if we both are free.
We will go to see the
movie tonight unless one of us is busy.
I will buy a new
phone if it is on sale.
I will buy a new
phone unless it is too expensive.
*in order to – HIGH FREQUENCY-
grammar is unusual, different structure
She is saving money in order to pay for a new laptop.
SIMPLE? COMPLEX?
She is saving money in order to pay for a new laptop.
She is saving money in order to pay for a new laptop.
In order to get into
good shape, he walks every day for 40 minutes.
*after
The kids did their homework after dinner. SIMPLE
The kids did their homework after SV dinner. COMPLEX-
ADV CL
The kids did their homework after they had dinner. COMPLEX- ADV CL
*in order that LOWER
FREQUENCY same meaning as ‘in order to’
She is saving money in order to pay for a new laptop. HIGH
FREQUENCY
She is saving money in order that SV a new laptop.
She is saving money in order that she will be able to buy a new
laptop. LOWER FREQUENCY
MY ADVICE: in order
to- HIGH FREQUENCY
In order to get good at playing guitar,
you have to practice and play a lot every day/often.
*as if – LOW FREQUENCY
– seems like, not real
The little kid was
running around as if he were a rabbit.
Jun spends money as
if it causes him pain.
Jun spends money as
if it were water.
Jun spends money as
if he were a millionaire.
**
Poetry terms- SIMILES
and METAPHORS
comparisons between
two unlike things
*simile- like as
She is as tall as a
giraffe (is). COMPLEX SENT- ADV CL
The old man is as
deaf as a post.
She is as blind as a
bat.
The old lady is as
stubborn as a mule/donkey.
He is like a bull in
a China shop. rough around delicate things
metaphor- more direct
comparison
She is a giraffe.
The old man is a
donkey.
Time is money.
Life is a highway.
in Medieval time –
blue- very expensive, purple- Royal
lapis lazilu
semiprecious stones
Feroza- stone
jade stone
mutton-fat jade
turquoise
precious stone
diamond
ruby
opal
emerald
sapphire
precious metal
gold
silver
platinum
2000 years ago-
aluminum
alloys-mix of two
metal
bronze
steel
pearl –
He got her a diamond
encrusted ruby because he loved her so much.
**
Exercise 1
1.
I
like to watch Youtube videos while I eat lunch.
She
usually scrolls on her phone while she eats lunch.
I
am watching a movie while I eat/am eating lunch.
She has been happy since
she moved to Canada. before happy wasn’t
She has been happier
since she moved to Canada. comparison- more now
2.
They
travelled a lot before they had any children.
Before
they had any children, they travelled a lot.
I
knew them before they has children.
3.Whenever
it snows, we make snowmen/ a snow person.
The
kids have snowball fights whenever it snows.
4.We arrived late
although/even though we left a seven o’clock.
7.until the store
opened
I was shopping until
the store opened. XXX
I was waiting in the
car until the store opened.
We waited in Starbucks
until the store opened.
She wasn’t able to return
the sweater until the store opened.
I lined up until the
store opened.
I lined up in the queue
until the store opened.
VOCAB queue- line-up
The security (asset-protection/lossprevention)
person was working until the store closed.
Go tell security that
you lost your bag.
11. Jun is as tall as
his dad (is).
Fred is taller than
his dad.
He is shorter than
his big brother.
IDIOM Good things
come in small packages.
VOCAB petite
She is very petite. She
is a tiny little thing.
FRENCH petite- small
in a good way
1.
My
son talks to me while I eat lunch. simple present- always
My
son talked to me while I ate lunch. simple past- always
My son is talking to
me while I am eating lunch. present progressive- right now
My son and I will talk
about it while we eat lunch.
My son and I will talk.
My son and I have a talk.
My son and I will have
a conversation.
IDIOM My son and I
will hash this out. talk about a problem
IDIOM bone to
pick I have a bone to pick with you. a problem
to resolve
IDIOM have a
beef The two brothers have a beef. upset with each other
IDIOM butt heads My son and daughter used to butt heads when
they were little.
I’m tired of butting
heads with you.
8.We won’t be able to
get out of town unless Kate can fix the car.
I won’t go all the
way there unless Kate can fix the car.
13. In Canada, you
can live wherever you want.
Freedom of Movement
within Canada
More Challenging
6. John thought that
the error was correct as he is an idiot.
FRIENDLY INSULT idiot
My answer was as
correct as your answer even though I make one error.
Everything will be
fine as long as you correct those errors.
3.I was nervous
because I had an interview.
She was nervous in the
interview because she didn’t feel ready/prepared/confident.
Let’s choose vocab
for Quiz 3 on adverb clauses.
10 adverb clause words
1.
because
2.
even
though
3.
unless
4.
even
if
5.
if
6.
in
order to
7.
before/after
8.
whenever
9.
while
10.
since
10
vocab
words
1.
immigrant(n)
2.
experience(n,v)
3.
qualified(adj)
4.
suggest(v)
5.
recognize(v)
6.
interesting(adj)
7.
employer(n)
8.
evidence(n)
9.
professional(adj,n)
10.
credentials(n)
No comments:
Post a Comment