Wednesday, 7 October 2026

EF71011 P1 Class 21

 

These are the courses that I will teach next quarter (November-January).

Period 1, 9:15-11:30    EF7/10/Comp11

Period 2, 12-2:15         EF7/10

You are welcome to join these courses again. The grammar and  sentence work will be the same. The readings will be different.

 

 

Today’s Agenda

·      Attendance

·      Quiz 3- adverb clauses

·      SELF-STUDY Overview and explanation of all of the verb tenses. Also, there are exercises:

https://www.google.ca/books/edition/The_English_Tenses_Exercise_Book/5QWsEAAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1

·      “Run-On Sentences and Comma Splice” HANDOUT

·      Continue verb tense- present progressive

·      Continue verb tense- past progressive

 

 

Thursday

·      Return everything

Opportunity for RWs

·      Prepare for midterm recommendations

Talk about midterm rec process

Brief one-on-one meetings

Discuss your progress so far based on PLOs

Emerging, Developing, Proficient, Extending

·      Continue verb tenses

 

 

Friday

·      No or very little teaching today- student/instructor midterm recommendation meetings

·      “Self-Assessment Reflection” Week 5

·      Vocabulary exercises

·      Midterm recommendations- alphabetical order

 

 

Monday- October 12 NO SCHOOL- Thanksgiving Monday

 

 

Tuesday

·      Continue complex sentences

·      Continue verb tenses

·      Begin new article “Bike-sharing programs can help cities reduce missions and congestion”

 

 

 

**

“Run-On Sentences and Comma Splice” HANDOUT

Run-On Sentences and Comma Splices

Common errors:

Corrections Codes: RO     CS

 

Essential punctuation- comma semicolon period   ,   ;   .

I teach this punctuation in great detail.

 

 

**RUN-ON SENTENCES**

A run-on sentence is two simple sentences joined together without

punctuation. The way to fix a run-on sentence is to rewrite it as a

simple, compound or complex sentence.

 

e.g. It’s rainy I took my umbrella. RUN-ON SENTENCE

FIXES:

It’s rainy. I took my umbrella. SIMPLE SENTENCES

It’s rainy, so I took my umbrella. COMPOUND SENTENCE

It’s rainy; I took my umbrella. COMPOUND  SENTENCE

It’s rainy; therefore, I took my umbrella. COMPOUND SENTENCE

I took my umbrella because it’s rainy. COMPLEX SENT-

ADVERB CLAUSE

I took my umbrella since it’s rainy. COMPLEX SENT-

ADVERB CLAUSE

 

Run-on sentences

SIMPLE SENT  X  SIMPLE SENT.

 

 

 

 

 

 

EXAMPLE

He likes dogs she is allergic. RO

FIXES

He likes dogs. She is allergic. SIMPLE

He likes dogs, but she is allergic. COMPOUND

He likes dogs; she is allergic. COMPOUND

He likes dogs; however, she is allergic. COMPOUND

He likes dogs although she is allergic. COMPLEX

 

Fred likes dogs he is allergic. RO

Fred likes dogs but is allergic. SIMPLE SVV

 

The solution will be the sentence types: SIMPLE, COMPOUND,

COMPLEX.

 

 

 

 

 

**COMMA SPLICES**

A comma splice is two simple sentences joined together with just a

comma. A comma is not strong enough to separate two simple

sentences.

Easy example:

It’s rainy, I took my umbrella. CS Comma splice

VOCAB splice- join two pieces of rope

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two simple sentences:

It’s rainy, I took my umbrella. CS Comma splice

Comma is not strong enough to go between two simple sentences.

FIXES:

It’s rainy. I took my umbrella. SIMPLE SENTENCES

It’s rainy, so I took my umbrella. COMPOUND SENTENCES

It’s rainy; I took my umbrella. COMPOUND SENTENCES

It’s rainy; therefore, I took my umbrella. COMPOUND SENTENCES

Because it’s rainy, I took my umbrella. COMPLEX SENTENCES

I took my umbrella because it’s rainy. COMPLEX SENTENCES

because/since/as LOWER FREQUENCY

I took my umbrella since it’s rainy.

I took my umbrella as it’s rainy. LOWER FREQUENCY

 

Focus of the sentence writing: SIMPLE COMPOUND COMPLEX

 

HIGHER-LEVEL VOCAB

e.g. It’s important to stay physically active, we have to move our

bodies to stay healthy. COMMA SPLICE

FIXES

It’s important to stay physically active. We have to move our

bodies to stay healthy. SIMPLES

It’s important to stay physically active; we have to move our

bodies to stay healthy. COMPOUND SENTENCE

We have to move our bodies to stay healthy; therefore, it’s important

to stay physically active. COMPOUND SENTENCE

We have to move our bodies to stay healthy because it’s important

to stay physically active. COMPLEX SENTENCE- ADVERB CLAUSE

We have to move our bodies to stay healthy so that it’s important

to stay physically active. COMPLEX SENTENCE- ADVERB CLAUSE

 

Week 5- SIMPLE, COMPOUND, COMPLEX-ADV CL

20m

A.Keep working on the sentence exercises

B.Read and prepare “Bike Sharing” article

 

 

Exercise 1

Fix these RO and CS. Write the sentences on your own paper.

 

1.      We wanted to go hiking the weather was bad.

We wanted to go hiking even though the weather was bad. suggest- went.

We wanted to go hiking; however, the weather was bad.

suggests -didn’t go

We wanted to go hiking. The weather was bad.

We wanted to go hiking, but the weather was bad.

 

We wanted to go hiking; unfortunately, the weather was bad.

We wanted to go hiking; sadly, the weather was bad.

We wanted to go hiking; disappointingly, the weather was bad.

 

*even if- for the future

We would like to go hiking even if the weather is bad.

 

even though

We wanted to go hiking even though the weather was bad.

 

 

2.      Sarah studied hard for the exam she wanted to get a good grade.

3.      I was feeling tired I went to bed early.

4.      Maria finished her homework, she watched a movie.

5.      I need to buy some groceries the refrigerator is almost empty.

6.      Tom enjoys living in Vancouver he likes the mountains.

7.      The bus was late, I arrived at work twenty minutes late.

8.     She loves to read she goes to the library every week.

9.     The cat slept on the couch the dog played in the yard.

10. We visited the museum we learned a lot about history.

We visited the museum, and we learned a lot about history.

When we visited the museum, we learned a lot about history.

After we visited the museum, we learned a lot about history.

We visited the museum; therefore, we learned a lot about history.

We visited the museum, so we learned a lot about history.

We visited the museum; interestingly, we learned a lot about history.

We visited the museum; we learned a lot about history.

 

 

 

 

 

Exercise 2

Fix these higher-level RO and CS. Write the sentences on

your own paper.

1.      Maria had prepared extensively for the job interview she answered the difficult questions with confidence.

Since/Because Maria had prepared extensively for the job interview, she answered the difficult questions with confidence.

Maria had prepared extensively for the job interview, so she answered the difficult questions with confidence.

Maria had prepared extensively for the job interview; therefore/as a result, she answered the difficult questions with confidence.

Maria had prepared extensively for the job interview; happily, she answered the difficult questions with confidence.

Maria had prepared extensively for the job interview; that’s why she answered the difficult questions with confidence. COMPLEX SENT- NOUN CLAUSE

happily/fortunately/amazingly/surprisingly, etc.

Maria had prepared extensively for the job interview, so she answered the difficult questions with confidence.

 

** Beginning a sentence with SOBA so or but and

Signals to the reader a very friendly, casual writing style.

For school and business, I avoid doing that.

 

 

2.      The company experienced a significant decline in sales its management remained optimistic about the future.

The company experienced a significant decline in sales; however,  its management remained optimistic about the future. COMPOUND

Even though the company experienced a significant decline in sales, its management remained optimistic about the future.

COMPLEX

VOCAB decline, decrease- go down

The market declined by 100 points.

VOCAB crash- drop precipitously

The market crashed by 2000 points.

 

Even though the company experienced a significant decline in sales, its management remained optimistic about the future. COMPLEX

The company experienced a significant decline in sales; even though, its management remained optimistic about the future.

COMPOUND

The company experienced a significant decline in sales; nevertheless, its management remained optimistic about the future.

COMPOUND

 

3.      The weather conditions deteriorated rapidly; the organizers postponed the outdoor concert until the following weekend.

The weather conditions deteriorated rapidly. The organizers postponed the outdoor concert until the following weekend.

Because the weather conditions deteriorated rapidly, the organizers postponed the outdoor concert until the following weekend.

The weather conditions deteriorated rapidly; therefore, the organizers postponed the outdoor concert until the following weekend.

The weather conditions deteriorated rapidly; sadly, the organizers postponed the outdoor concert until the following weekend.

The weather conditions deteriorated rapidly; regretfully, the organizers postponed the outdoor concert until the following weekend.

VOCAB regretfully-

 

 

 

 

 

4.      The city has invested heavily in public transportation traffic congestion has gradually decreased in several neighborhoods.

5.      The museum contains an impressive collection of historical artifacts it offers educational programs for visitors of all ages.

6.      She was excited about her new job she didn't realize how much work it would be.

7.     He forgot his keys he had to wait outside until someone let him in.

8.     I bought a new laptop it has all the features I need for work.

9.     The project required months of careful preparation the team completed it under budget and ahead of schedule.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment