Tuesday, 6 October 2026

EF71011 P1 Class 20

 

STILL TO DO: “Run-On Sentences and Comma Splice” HANDOUT

 

Today’s Agenda

·      Attendance

·      HANDOUT NEW ARTICLE “Bike-sharing programs can help cities reduce emissions and congestion”, crossword and Thought Questions-PRINT AT BREAK

We will begin this next Tuesday, October 13th.

·      Continue complex sentences- adverb clauses

Exercises- practice

Choose vocabulary for Quiz 3 Wednesday

·      Verb tense exercises

·      Continue verb tense- present progressive

 

 

Wednesday

·      Quiz 3- adverb clauses

·      Continue verb tense- past progressive

·       

 

 

Thursday

·      Return everything

Opportunity for RWs

·      Prepare for midterm recommendations

Talk about midterm rec process

Brief one-on-one meetings

Discuss your progress so far based on PLOs

Emerging, Developing, Proficient, Extending

·      Continue verb tenses

 

 

Friday

·      No or very little teaching today- student/instructor midterm recommendation meetings

·      “Self-Assessment Reflection” Week 5

·      Vocabulary exercises

·      Midterm recommendations- alphabetical order

 

 

Monday- October 12 NO SCHOOL- Thanksgiving Monday

 

 

Tuesday

·      Continue complex sentences

·      Continue verb tenses

·      Begin new article “Bike-sharing programs can help cities reduce missions and congestion”

 

 

 

 

**

Continue complex sentences- adverb clauses

Exercises- practice

MODEL

*after

The kids did their homework after dinner. SIMPLE SENT

The kids did their homework after SV dinner. COMPLEX SENT- ADV CL

The kids did their homework after they had SV dinner. COMPLEX SENT- ADV CL

 

 

 

*until- waiting for something, time

We will wait until you are finished. COMPLEX SENT- ADV CL

We will wait until 9 o’clock. SIMPLE SENT

You can’t move up to EF6 until you pass EF5.

Until you pass EF5, you can’t move up to EF6.
You can’t be hired at a restaurant until you have Food Safe.


*unless- condition, opposite ‘if’

You can’t move up to EF6 unless you pass EF5.

You can’t be hired at a restaurant unless you have Food Safe.

 

*so that

ACTION TO ACHIEVE THE GOAL so that GOAL

He is training four days a week so that he can run a half-marathon next spring.

She is saving money so that she can get a new bicycle.

 

SV, so SV.

He wants to run a half-marathon next spring, so he is training four days a week. COMPOUND

She wants to get a new bicycle, so she is saving money.

She wants to get a new bicycle.

She would like to get a new bicycle.

 

*in order to HIGH FREQUENCY- structure but different

He is training four days a week so that he can in order to run a half-marathon next spring.

He is training four days a week in order to run a half-marathon next spring. SIMPLE? COMPLEX?

 

She is saving money so that she can get a new bicycle.

She is saving money so that she can in order to get a new bicycle.

She is saving money in order to get a new bicycle. SIMPLE? COMPLEX?

*so … that     

VOCAB …   ellipsis – three periods, dots, full stops

……. NOT ENGLISH, CHINESE, ARABI

so … that  so ADJ that

It was so foggy today that I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face.

The cookies were so delicious that they disappeared quickly.

The movie was so boring that I couldn’t finish it. I turned it off.

 

The movie was so boring that I couldn’t finish it. COMPLEX- adv cl

I couldn’t finish the movie because it was so boring. COMPLEX- adv cl

The movie was very boring, so I couldn’t finish it. COMPOUND

I couldn’t finish the extremely boring movie. SIMPLE

 

 

Exercises:

1.    I sit in the park while I eat lunch. VT- simple present – every day

I was sitting in the park while I was eating lunch. VT- past progressive

She arrived at home while I was eating lunch.

I was eating lunch when the power went out.

2.They wanted to travel before they had any children.

Their house was quiet and clean before they had any children.

3.Whenever it snows, we had have a snowball fight.

Whenever it snowed, we had a snowball fight and made a snowman.

Whenever it snowed, we made a snowman.

We made a snowman whenever it snowed.

 

4.

5. Her dog ran away when she petted another dog.

 

 

 

 

 

7.until the store opened

We waited until the store opened.

We had a coffee until the store opened.

We sat in our car until the store opened.

HIGHER-LEVEL I wasn’t able to return the sweater until the store opened.

 

11. He is as tall as his dad.

MEANING He is as tall as his dad is.

 

13. wherever you want

In Canada, you can live wherever you want.

You can hang out together whenever and wherever you want.

 

14. Let’s have a picnic in the park if we have time Saturday.

 

15.We can get some ice cream at McDonalds after we get groceries.

 

More Challenging

2 whenever talk asleep

Whenever he talks to me, I fall asleep.

The parents talk quietly whenever their baby is asleep.

 

7. if continue lead

Real Madrid will win if they continue to lead Barcelona in the second half.

 

8. although exhausted attend

I am happy that I attended the meeting even though/ although/though(casual) I was exhausted.

VOCAB even though = although = though(casual)

 

11. provided that weather event

The sports event will happen next Tuesday provided that / if the weather is good.

VOCAB provided that- ‘if’ for important things

The sports event will happen next Tuesday provided that the weather cooperates.

IDIOM the weather cooperates-  the weather is nice

The weather is not cooperating.

 

12.until budget cannot

She cannot open an RRSP until she makes a monthly budget.

budget(n,v)- a plan for money

We have a tight budget.

They budget carefully.

 

 

**


Let’s choose vocab for Quiz 3 on adverb clauses.

10 adverb clause words

1.    because

2.    when

3.    if

4.    even if

5.    while

6.    after/before

7.    so that  so…that

8.    although/even though

9.    since

10.           until

 

 

10 vocab words

1.    squander(v)

2.    qualifications(n)

3.    employ(v)

4.    experience(n,v)

5.    talented(adj)

6.    international(adj)

7.    community(n)

8.    immigrate(v)

9.    essential(adj)

10.           value(n,v)


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment