STILL TO DO: “Run-On
Sentences and Comma Splice” HANDOUT
Today’s Agenda
· Attendance
· Continue verb tense- simple
present past future
· IF TIME Continue
complex sentences- adverb clauses
Choose
vocab to review for Quiz 3 Wednesday
· Test 2- paragraph
loosely about “Canadian experience” (last 55m)
Tuesday
·
HANDOUT
NEW ARTICLE “Bike-sharing programs can help cities reduce emissions
and congestion”, crossword and Thought Questions
We will begin this next Tuesday, October 13th.
· Continue verb tense-
present progressive
· Continue complex
sentences- adverb clauses
Choose
vocabulary for Quiz 3 Wednesday
Wednesday
· Quiz 3- adverb
clauses
· Continue verb tense-
past progressive
·
Thursday
· Return everything
Opportunity
for RWs
· Prepare for midterm
recommendations
Talk
about midterm rec process
Brief
one-on-one meetings
Discuss
your progress so far based on PLOs
Emerging,
Developing, Proficient, Extending
· Continue verb tenses
Friday
· No or very little
teaching today- student/instructor midterm recommendation meetings
· “Self-Assessment
Reflection” Week 5
· Vocabulary exercises
· Midterm
recommendations- alphabetical order
Monday- October 12 NO
SCHOOL- Thanksgiving Monday
Tuesday
· Continue complex
sentences
· Continue verb tenses
· Begin new article “Bike-sharing programs can help cities reduce missions and congestion”
**
Simple verb tense review
SIMPLE PRESENT VERB TENSE-
-habitual action, happens regularly, everyday, routinely
-fact, truth
Sarah plays volleyball. habitual, regular action, usual action
Sarah plays volleyball every week/Tuesday. habitual, regular
action
Sarah plays volleyball on Tuesdays. habitual, regular
action
Sarah plays volleyball twice a month. habitual, regular
action
Sarah plays
volleyball. DOES NOT MEAN RIGHT NOW
Sarah plays is playing
volleyball right now. RIGHT NOW
simple present- TRUTH
The sun rises in the east. The sun sets in the west.
Seven times three equals twenty one.
simple present- FACT
Victoria is the capital of BC.
**
NUMBERS one two three four... nine – spell out the words
10+ use numerals
I have 2 two sisters.
I have 15 siblings.
She has 20% of her Kickstarter funded.
Choose a rule that I follow. It works. You can use it if
you like it. Be consistent.
She is taking two courses: English 12 and Chemistry 11.
He caught 25 Pokémon this weekend.
Dates - confusing
11/25/2024
25/11/2024
2/3/2024- unclear
3/2/2024- unclear
There is no one answer.
Nov.25/24 – my solution
November 25th, 2024 is the day of the party.
November 25, 2024 is the day of the party.
The 29th of November is our wedding
anniversary. fancier, more formal
wedding invitation, for example “on the fifth of May, two
thousand seventeen at one o'clock in the afternoon”
simple present verb tense- habitual action
habit- normal behaviour
“Joe buys a car.” vt
sounds odd
“Joe bought/purchased
a car.”
Joe buys and sells cars.” vt sounds like his job
My son buys and sells sneakers. He is a sneaker-head.
She bought a nice pair of Manalo Blaniks.
“Joe bought a car.” vt completed action- simple past
“Joe buys and sells cars for a living.” simple present –
sounds like his job SVV
SIMPLE PRESENT
ADVERBS- show now often
always
IDIOM religiously- always
usually
often
sometimes
occasionally
seldom
rarely/hardly ever
almost never
never
Mei goes to the gym three times a week religiously.
IDIOMS rain or shine, no matter what happens, no matter
what, come hell or high water
She studies English everyday rain or shine.
You will take care of your kids no matter what.
I will get to BCIT no matter what. Nothing can stop me.
There is no mountain high enough or river wide enough to stop me.
Jun shares his ideas at the meetings. every meeting,
every time
Jun shared his ideas at the meeting today. once, finished
action
I prepared for my Quiz1 this morning. I walk my dog every
day.
I come to school every weekday. I talked with my friends
earlier.
I eat have my breakfast everyday at home, but I ate
had breakfast at a restaurant yesterday.
I drink have tea/coffee every morning.
I eat have soup.
I had a glass of wine.
I ate took some medicine for my headache.
He had some soup for supper.
Authentic-sounding, natural-sounding- like a native
speaker
I’m having my dinner right now. I’ll call you back.
We went out to a restaurant.
What did you have?
I had the shrimp spaghetti.
To be a certified teacher for K-12:
Bachelor degree- Arts, Science, Commerce (3-4 years)
Bachelor of Education- BEd (1-2 years)
College or university- Usually Masters degree, PhD
Adult Education diploma
art- painting, drawing
Language Arts- literature, poetry, humanities
taste(v) – get a sense of the flavour
Taste this.
It tastes good.
Honey tastes sweet.
He tasted the honey.
Honey smells sweet.
taste(n) – informed opinion
She has good taste in clothing.
We have the same taste in music.
She has terrible taste in men.
He has terrible taste in women.
IDIOM Bite your tongue.
**Simple past- one
event in the past, finished
Jun went to the mall
yesterday.
Mei plays volleyball.
habit
Mei played volleyball
last night. on event, finished
COMMON ERROR
Mei was play volleyball last night. XXX
Mei played volleyball
last night.
Dinosaurs roamed the earth 60 million years ago.
China was the most advanced society in science 2000
years ago.
Canada had its 159th birthday on July 1.
We had a party last night.
She had a coffee on the way to work today.
**Simple future- on event
that will occur in the future
will
be going to
Check your grammar
book.
Understanding and
Using English Grammar,
Betty Azar Blue version
There are many editions
and reprints of this book.
You can get it used.
My simple explanation
will work most of the time.
be going to- am going
to, is going to, are going to
will- will eat, wil
help, will wash the dishes
A.
be
going to- already planned, decided previously
She
is going to V. She is going to read her book tonight.
We
are going to go to the Pumpkin Patch next
Saturday.
The
kids are going to carve pumpkins next
weekend.
They
are going to put a candle inside the pumpking to make a Jack-O-Lantern.
Mei
is going to call her friend tonight.
I
am going to buy a turkey for Thanksgiving.
We
are going to have a potluck.
B.
will-
decide right now, choose on the spur of the moment
IDIOM spur of the
moment- -right now
I’ll help. I will help.
I’ll get it. I will get it.
Clara will do that. You can do this.
PHONE RINGING I’ll
get it. I will answer it.
TIM HORTONS I’ll have a medium double double and 20 plain Timbits,
please.
We need someone to pick
up the coffee that we ordered.
I will pick it up.
VOLUNTEER FOR A TASK:
I will V.
Can anyone feed the
dog? I’ll do it.
SOMEBODY KNOCKING I’ll
get it.
MARRIAGE: I do.
**
willing- open to
doing some work, extra work
I’d be willing to
take that on.
I’d be willing to
chair that committee.
She was not willing
to do that work.
SIMPLE TENSES- simple
present, simple past, simple future
Let’s write some
sentences from your imagination using a mix of simple verb tenses. Please work
together if you like.
I am going to school later. CASUAL
I am going to go to school later.
I am going to get/buy/purchase some groceries
after work.
I went to a blueberry u-pick last summer.
EF7/Comp11 – simple tenses
– solid
We drive to school together every day.
He drives to school every day.
CORRECTION CODES agr subject- verb agreement
He talk talks to his sister every Sunday on the
phone. agr
Her family is going to go to China next year if they
have time.
Her family is going to China next year if they have
time.
She likes coffee, but
she does not drink it.
I like milk, but milk
doesn't like me. Milk doesn’t agree with me.
**
SOURCE OF CONFUSION
simple
Simple sentence
Simple verb tense
Her family is going to go to China next year if they
have time. simple future, complex sentence
I am going to shopping
tonight. XXX
I am going to go shopping
tonight.
I am going to go
GERUND.
GERUND ‘ing’ noun
I am going to go
skiing/running/dancing/travelling, etc.
I am going to go
eating. XXX
I am going to go shopping
tonight.
I am going shopping
tonight.
**
Simple verb tenses-
explore these further
No comments:
Post a Comment