Friday, 11 September 2026

EF71011 P1 Class 4

 

Good morning.

 

Any plans for the weekend?

work!

party- go to a restaurant with friends

holiday

hiking on Grouse Mountain

 

man hiking in Squamish- lost- five days

-prepare for a hike- water, snacks, hiking shoes or boots, warm clothes, no cotton, sunscreen, map!, first aid, GPS?, hiking poles, bear spray, lighter

 

have a glass(es) of wine and read a book

 

BBQ- barbecue in the back yard

 

go for a bike ride over the Lion’s Gate Bridge and around Stanley Park

 

 

 

Today’s Agenda

·      Attendance

·      “Self-Assessment Reflection” Week 1

·      Vocabulary exercises- new vocabulary- some challenging, some easier

·      Sentence writing work “What Can I Do Already?”

Go over sentence writing work from HW

·      Begin review of sentence types

“Overview of Sentence Types” HANDOUT

simple, compound, complex, compound-complex- next couple of weeks

·      IF TIME Begin paragraph form and structure

·      HW   Prepare for Monday- Reading the article. Prepare Thought

Question notes

 

Monday

·      Begin new article

·      Continue sentence styles- SIMPLE SENTENCES

 

Tuesday

·      Continue new article

·      Continue sentence styles- SIMPLE SENTENCES

Quiz tomorrow.

Talk about quiz.

Choose vocab to review

 

 

 

 

 

**

 

**

Sentences from homework:

seeing a good variety of sentence styles- SIMPLE, COMPOUND, COMPLEX, COMPOUND-COMPLEX

 

challenges - punctuation- comma usage

-verb form and verb tense

 

I will teach high-quality sentence writing- punctuation, verb form and verb tense. You should already be able to do this.

PLOS EF7, Comp11- expectation of proficiency in sentence writing

 

 

 

**

Vocabulary Activities

1.nevertheless- goes against expectation

TWO MODELS for transitional terms

however   therefore   also

 

First model- two simple sentences

It is cloudy today. Nevertheless, we will go to the beach. however

English is hard to learn. Nevertheless, I will keep going.

 

Second model- compound sentence

It is cloudy today; nevertheless, we will go to the beach.

English is hard to learn; nevertheless, I will keep going.

 

2.take into account- consider(v), think about- something important

Think about what kind of ice cream you want.

If you want to get an iphone18, you have take into account the high price.

 

3.retrieve(v)- get back, recover(v)

The dog retrieved the ball. The dog is a Golden Retriever.

I retrieved the document from the cloud.

recovery(n)- coming back to health form an illness

Her recovery from her operation is going well.

He is in recovery from an addiction. He is sober.

I don’t drink.

 

4. accomplishment(n)-achievement, milestone

feel happy, feel relieved

 

 

 

5.motivate(v)- give a reason to progress, encourage, give positive vibes(CASUAL), inspire

motivation(n) inspiration(n), encouragement(n)

He gives encouragement to his kids.

 

discourage(v)

 

There are always nay-sayers.

Katie Perry- Haters gonna hate!

SLANG hater- a person who always negative

 

6.boost(v) enhance, increase

 

7.for this reason

diabetes- spleen cannot produce enough insulin, high blood-sugar

Sugary drinks are not good for us.

 

8.exposure(n)

expose(v)

Wear sunscreen. Protect your skin.

Put on sunscreen. Apply sunscreen.

 

9.eye-catching(adj) – looks great, everybody notices it

The soccer ball on ScienceWorld is eye-catching.

 

10. owing to- because of

 

 

1. interrogating- questioning aggressively

inquire(v) ask, gently

Don’t interrogate me.

2.transfer(v)- move to a different branch or outlet, store

Lydia was transferred to Oakridge Aritzia from the Tsawwassen.

3. emergency medical supplies- bandaids, gauze, alcohol, pills?, tweezers, tape, etc,

 

She knows first aid. She can do CPR and AR.

CPR- cardio-pulmonary resuscitation

AR- artificial respiration

 

5. content(adj) satisfied, happy

content(n)- material

This show contains adult content. It is not for children.

The customs agent checked the contents of the suitcase.

 

6.electrician- power, electricity

plumber- water, pipes

She does her own electrical work.

 

7.imagination

Children have big imaginations.

 

8.affect(v) influence, change, impact(BUSINESS WORD)

effect(n)- special effects, consequence

9.politician, politics-

diplomatic(adj) able to get along with people, able to negotiate personalities

diplomat- representative for a country

 

 

10. advocate- supporter – stands up for, activist

River Ahmad is an advocate for women’s rights in Afghanistan.

 

Hopefully there are some useful new vocab words.

 

 

**

 

 

**

Sentences from homework

1.    He ran quickly, but he missed the bus. COMPOUND

He ran quickly but missed the bus. SIMPLE

 

2.    She tried to get a new job and was successful. SIMPLE

She tried to get a new job, and she was successful. COMPOUND

 

3.    I am tired, so I prefer to stay at home. COMPOUND

My mom got/is tired of her job, so she wants to retire one year in advance / early.

early retirement

65 is the normal age for retirement in Canada.

 

 

**

prepositions with home

-examples

I will stay home tonight. I will stay at home tonight.

He left his phone at home.

Her kids are at home/home.

 

Mei will go to home after class.

to Burnaby

to the mall

to the beach

 

to downtown. Let’s go downtown. Let’s go to the movies.

to home She went home.

 

He will go to the gym.

Will you go to work later?

 

4.    COMPLEX SENTENCE Immigrants always miss their home because they have a lot of memories from there.

COMMON ERROR- SMALL ERROR    , because

 

5.    I am relaxed, in fact serene, coming home from a 14-hour shift.

relax(v) relaxed(adj)

 

I was relaxed, in fact serene, when I came home from a 14-hour shift.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment