Monday, 28 September 2026

EF71011 P2 Class 15

 

Today’s Agenda

·      Attendance

·      Return Quiz#2

Go over

Optional RW for one point

·      Overview of verb tenses

HANDOUT “Overview of the 12 Verb Tenses in English”

·      Continue new article- Canadian experience

·      Begin complex sentences- overview

 

Tuesday

·      Continue verb tense- simple present

·      Continue complex sentences

Begin adverb clauses

·      First Nations lecture

re: National Day for Truth and Reconciliation

 

Wednesday- no school, Stat Holiday- statutory

National Day for Truth and Reconciliation

 

Thursday

·      Return Test 1

Focus on PLOs C1 and C5

Talk about paragraph process

This is what works for me.

Optional RW for one point

·      Continue verb tense- simple past

·      Continue complex sentences- adverb clauses

Quiz 3 when?

 

Friday

·      “Self-Assessment Reflection” Week 4

·      Vocabulary exercises

·      Continue verb tense- simple future

·       

 

Monday

·      Continue verb tense- present progressive

 

Tuesday

·      Continue verb tense- past progressive

 

 

 

P2

SV, SOBA SV.

SV: TRANS, SV.

SV; SV- not on quiz

 

Write a compound sentence for each.

1.    or                 delay

SV, or SV.

We can have the meeting now, or we can delay it until 2pm.

2.    similarly     talent

SV; TRANS, SV.

Maria is a good singer; similarly, Jun has a talent for dancing.

talented

Maria is a good singer, similarly, Jun has a talent for dancing. XXX punc

3.    moreover  trust

I trust my boss; moreover, I respect her work ethic.

SV; TRANS, SV.

4.    instead       immigrant

Immigrants would like to get high-paying jobs; instead, they are forced to take survival jobs.

5.    in addition support

My family supports me; in addition, my friends encourage me.

6.    however    mistake

I made a mistake; however, I learned from it.

 

Optional RW for one point. Pass it in today or first thing tomorrow.

Title: Quiz2RW

 

 

 

 

 

VOCAB

mistake(n)

He makes a lot of mistakes, but he makes up for them.

 

mistake(v)

She mistook that tall man for her brother.

 

 

VOCAB alot XXX

The little kid has alot of Pokemon cards. wf- word form

FIX

The little kid has a lot of Pokemon cards.

The little kid has lots of Pokemon cards.

 

 

 

Overview of the 12 Verb Tenses in English

1.      SIMPLE PRESENT-habitual action, truth

does not mean right now

He buys a car. XXX

He buys a new car every year.

He buys a coffee every morning. agr

2.      SIMPLE PAST- one event finished in the past

She watched a movie last night.

She was watch a movie last night. XXX

was go

3.      SIMPLE FUTURE- one event to happen later

be going to- already planned it

Mei is going to watch a movie tomorrow night with her kids.

 

will- decide right now

 

4.      PRESENT PROGRESSIVE/CONTINUOUS- happening now, currently

She is looking at the screen.

She’s looking at the screen.

I am talking to you.    ‘ apostrophe

I’m talking to you.

 ERRORS

She looking at the screen.

She is look at the screen.

AUTHENTIC- suggest the future

He’s going to Calgary tomorrow.

MEANING He’s going to go to Calgary tomorrow.

 

5.      PAST PROGRESSIVE – was happening in the past, usually with an interruption

I was driving to school when it started raining.

I drove to school today.

 

6.      FUTURE PROGRESSIVE- will be happening later

RARELY USED

 

7.      PRESENT PERFECT- started in the past, continues until now

She has lived in Canada for 19 months.

CONFUSION live   lived   lived

I have visited her six times.

 

8.      PAST PERFECT- started in the past, ended in the past

RARELY USED- substitute simple past

She had lived  lived in Hong Kong from 2010-2022.

 

9.      FUTURE PERFECT- will start and end later

 NEVER USED

 

10.  PRESENT PERFECT PROGRESSIVE-  started happening in the past,

 continues until now

Jun has been working at Best Buy for two years. sounds temporary

 

11.  PAST PERFECT PROGRESSIVE- started happening in the past,

ended in the past

NEVER USED

 

12.  FUTURE PERFECT PROGRESSIVE- will start happening in the future,

         will end in the future

NEVER USED

 

 

 

 

 

 

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN

present perfect and present perfect progressive

 

Joe has worked at Best Buy for two years. sounds more permanent

Joe has been working at Best Buy for two years. sounds more temporary

 

I have lived in Vancouver for one year. sounds more permanent

I have been living in Vancouver for one year. sounds more temp

 

I live in Vancouver since 2019. XXX

I have lived in Vancouver since 2019.

I have  lived in Vancouver since I was 16.

 

I have lived in Vancouver for one year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

**

conditionals

 

**zero conditional- HIGH FREQUENCY- begin this week

-If it rains, we will stay home.

 

first conditional- truth

-If it is raining, you will get wet.

 

second conditional- subjunctive mood- imagining RARELY USED

-If I won the lottery, I would buy a solid gold toothbrush.

-If I were Batman, I could stop the war.

 

third conditional- past REGRET, VERY RARELY USED

-If you had bought Microsoft stock in 1985, you would be a millionaire today.

-If I had have studied harder, I would have passed the test.

 

 

 

**

Continue article- Canadian experience

Let’s get into chat groups (5-6 people)

Discuss and share knowledge about the “Thought Questions”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment