Monday, 14 September 2026

EF711 P2 Class 5

 

Good afternoon.

 

Good afternoon.

 

Today’s Agenda

·      Attendance

·      Talk about PLOs

·      FINISH Sentence writing work “What Can I Do Already?”

Go over sentence writing work from HW

·      Begin review of sentence types

“Overview of Sentence Types” HANDOUT

simple, compound, complex, compound-complex- next couple of weeks

·      “Simple Sentences” exercises

·      Begin paragraph form and structure

·      Begin new article

 

Tuesday

·      Continue new article

·      Continue sentence styles- SIMPLE SENTENCES

Quiz on simple sentences Wednesday

Talk about quiz. Model example quiz

Choose vocab to review

·      Continue with paragraph work

 

Wednesday

·      Quiz#1- simple sentences

·      Begin next type of sentence- compound sentences

·      Continue new article

 

 

 

 

**

Ministry of Education in BC

from www.bced.gov.bc.ca

 

EF7/Composition 10/Literary Studies 10- same courses

Comp 11- very similar, higher level

 

PLOs “Prescribed Learning Outcomes”

 

Every Foundations course has PLOs.

 

TEACHING

-guidelines for what the teacher has to teach

-areas of focus

-areas to explore in the course

 

MARKING

-basis for evaluation

-standards for marking

 

 

 

Explore vocabulary

 

Prescribed Learning Outcomes

 

-prescribed(adj)- like an order, mandatory, not an option

-prescription(noun) The doctor wrote me a prescription.

SLANG script-

IDIOM An apple a day, keeps the doctor away.

JOKE A garlic a day, keeps everyone away.

 

 

A doctor prescribes(v) some medicine. – need to take, tells you

 

Some teachers teach prescriptive grammar. –hard grammar rules

who/whom

past perfect verb tense

double-negative rule

 

Some teachers teach descriptive grammar. –soft grammar guidelines

-focus on authentic usage

 

IDIOM never ever – definitely not, strong   I have never ever drunk alcohol.

Never never ever give your real name on the internet.

 

 

 

-learning(verb,adj,noun) – synonyms- knowledge(n), study(v), understanding(n), discover(v), research, educating, developing, growing, getting better, explore, improve, comprehension

 

-outcome(n)- result, find, discovery, as a result, finish, end, conclude, completed, complete, therefore, final, sum up, at the end, what you got, aftermath, summation, summative 

 

Prescribed Learning Outcomes (PLOs) – the things that we should be able to do by the end of the course.

 

Setting goals- plan, target, aim, trajectory, path, vision, purpose, dream, destination, ambition, project, aspiration(n), aspire(v)

“I want/aspire to be an immigration lawyer.”

“My aspiration is to run my own business.”

“My plan/aspiration/ambition is to be an interior designer.”

inspire  XX  aspire

 

Stretch your comfort zone.

IDIOM your comfort zone – just doing what does not challenge you, used to it already, comfortable, no risk, no pressure

 

The PLOs will encourage us to grow.

 

IDIOM our comfort zone – no pressure, feel comfortable, feel confident

 

We have to take risks in order to grow.

We have to challenge ourselves.

 

Do you challenge yourself?

-learning a new/ different/ additional language

-make more money

-talking with kids

-communicate with other people

-immigrating/emigrating

VOCAB immigrate- come into a country permently    emigrate-leave a country permanently

She emigrated from China. She immigrated to Canada.

immigrate(v) immigration(n) immigrant(n, person)

 

-getting PR

 

Levels of mastery: EMERGING   DEVELOPING   PROFICIENT   EXTENDING

 

 

 

 

Going outside our comfort zone is challenging, frightening, destabilizing, stressful, etc.

On the other hand, this is where growth comes from.

-personal growth, professional growth, confidence, mastery, become expert, gain expertise

 

professional – get paid

semi-professional –

amateur- no money

I am a serious amateur musician.

 

 

-explore, grow

 

MY MOTTO: I have to say ‘yes’ to new good experiences, especially for music.

motto- special words you can tell yourself

 

 

The PLOS are opportunities for growth.

 

 

Our PLOS- goals for the course.

HOMEWORK Looked over for homework

 

A.ORAL LANGUAGE

B.READING AND VIEWING

C.WRITING AND REPRESENTING

D.EVIDENCE OF THINKING

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My focus for marking:

ORAL- talking

A1 – engage with others in sustained conversation

-contribute ideas and support the ideas of others

-analyze diverse points of view

A2- demonstrate an understanding of detailed information communicated through a variety of spoken sources

 

VOCAB monolingual- speak one language

              bilingual- two languages

              trilingual- three languages

              polyglot- speak many languages

She is a polyglot.

I speak English and Farsi.

I speak English and a little bit of Japanese.

 

 

Spoken mark 1 x/10

Spoken mark 2 x/10

 

 

 

WRITING – sentences, paragraphs, essay

C1- enhance meaning by using conventions, forms, and structures of writing and representing according to purpose

-grammar and usage- verb form and tense, punctuation, sentence types

-punctuation, capitalization, and Canadian spelling

.   ,   ;   ?         :   -

!- rarely used in school writing

hyphen -           She has a three-year-old baby.

                             He took a three-hour flight to Toronto.

                             It was April 27th.

 

dash –   casual semicolon

She likes Vancouver; the parks are great for her kids.

She likes Vancouver- the parks are great for her kids.

 

C3- variety of descriptive, narrative, process, persuasive, compare/contrast, and expository paragraphs / essays  

 

C5- generate, develop, and organize ideas for writing

              setting the topic

              limiting the topic

              brainstorming ideas

              organizing ideas

 

These are the main PLOs that I will be focusing on for teaching and marking/evaluation.

 

Which of the PLOs are you good at already?

Which ones do you want to get better at?

 

 

**

Overview of Sentence Types

 

*SIMPLE SENTENCE- one main/independent  clause

clause- a group of words with a subject and a verb

subject- noun, pronoun

verb- action verb, being

 

 

SV- subject + verb

The sky is blue.

It is cloudy today.

 

SSV

You and I are talking on the phone.

 

SVV

The dog is sleeping and is snoring.

 

 

SVVV (probably the maximum}

The kids are running, yelling, and eating.

 

Commas usage choice:

The kids are running, yelling, and eating. Oxford comma- optional

The kids are running, yelling and eating.

 

AAA, BBB, and CCC Oxford comma- optional – FORMAL, OLD-FASHIONED

AAA, BBB and CCC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SSSV (probably the maximum)

Joe, Sarah, and Michelle went dancing.

Joe, Sarah and Michelle went dancing.

COMMON ERROR

Joe, Sarah, Michelle went dancing.

FIX

Joe, Sarah, and Michelle went dancing.

 

Joe and Michelle went dancing. no comma

Joe, and Michelle went dancing. XXX

 

 

SSVV

The old man and his granddaughter go to the park and have fun.

 

 

Imperative, command sentence - tell somebody to do something

Come in. Watch out. Sit down. Open the window, please.

 

(You) Open the window, please.

 

**Commas usage with ’please’

Open the window, please. comma

Please open the window. no comma

 

Would/Will you please open the window? Not imperative- Interrogative

 

 

 

Interrogative sentence - question, interrogate (ask questions)

What are you doing? What time is it? Where did you park the car?

Can/Could you drive me to the airport? sounds a little better

Would you please pass the ketchup?

How long have you lived in Canada?

 

 

**Modals/Modal Auxilairies

can may could would should will might

have to    had better   need to

be able to  be supposed to

We will do this later.

 

would/could

Could you please open the window? ability

Would you please open the window? willingness

 

Could you drive me to the airport?

 

I would like to VERB. more polite

I want to VERB.

I would like to make an appointment. a bit more polite

I want to make an appointment. more direct, not rude

 

 

SIMPLE SENTENCES: SV   SSV   SVV   SSSV   SVVV   SSVV

Imperative   Interrogative

 

 

*COMPOUND SENTENCES FANBOYS for and nor but or yet so

 

-First level of compound sentences   , SOBA   , so      , or    , but , and

It is raining, so we can't play soccer.

You can come to school, or you can go to work.

I like chocolate, but I don't eat it everyday.

Joan likes hiking, and she also likes skiing.

 

-Next level of compound sentences: ; substitute semicolon for, SOBA

; semicolon

It is raining, so we can't play soccer.

It is raining; we can't play soccer. Looks high-level

*People don’t use semicolons a lot, but they look great sprinkled in.

 

 

-Next next level of compound sentences  

transitional terms   therefore   alternatively   however   also, etc

It is raining, so we can't play soccer.

It is raining; we can't play soccer.

It  is raining; therefore, we can't play soccer.

 

Its going to snow next week, but my car does not have snow tires.

 

OPTIONS

Its going to snow next week, but my car does not have snow tires.

Its going to snow next week; my car does not have snow tires.

Its going to snow next week; unfortunately, my car does not have snow tires.

 

I wanted to go outside; however, it was raining.

I wanted to go outside; unfortunately, it was raining.

I wanted to go outside; sadly, it was raining.

 

ANOTHER OPTION

I wanted to go outside; sadly, it was raining. COMPOUND

I wanted to go outside. Sadly, it was raining. TWO SIMPLES

 

 

 

MODELS FOR COMPOUND SENTENCES:

You can come to school, or you can go to work.

You can come to school; you can also go to work.

You can come to school; on the other hand, you can go to work.

I like chocolate, but I don't eat it everyday.

I like chocolate; I don't eat it everyday.

I like chocolate; however, I don't eat it everyday.

 

I like chocolate. However, I don't eat it everyday. TWO SIMPLES

 

I like chocolate; therefore , I bought 10 kg from Costco.

 

COMPLEX SENTENCES

-Adverb clauses – because   if   when   unless   until   after   before   although, etc

main clause adverb clause

Sarah doesn’t want to talk to Maria because they had an argument. no comma

Because Sarah and Maria had an argument, Sarah doesn’t want to talk to her. comma

*Some teachers say to not start a sentence with ‘because’.

 

because= since

 

We won’t go to the beach if it rains.

If it rains, we won’t go to the beach.

 

 

-Noun clauses - brain, tongue

brain- think, believe, know, guess, understand, imagine, remember, forget, etc.

tongue- say, whisper, state, yell, remind, claim, argue, etc.

that why how

 

Mohammed thinks that he should call his brother.

He thought about how he could fix his car.

The little girl believes that there is a monster in her closet.

Maria said that we need more printer paper.

Junko didn’t tell us why she quit her job.

 

-Adjective clauses - describe nouns, use ‘who’ ‘that’ ‘which’

 

who-people

that-things, animals

which- special things, unique things

 

Which name do you like? SIMPLE SENT- Interrogative

 

Fatima's neighbour, who is 86 years old, still lives on her own.

Marta has some nice boots that she got from a fancy store in Tokyo.

Beijing, which is the capital of China, is a huge ancient city

 

HIGHEST LEVEL- COMPOUND COMPLEX SENTENCES

Mei loves to eat chocolate, but Junko doesn't like it because she is allergic to it.

I don't want to go to the party that Clara is throwing, but you should go if you want to.

 

 

**

“Simple Sentences” Exercises

Simple Sentences

 

Notice that there are some important requirements for a simple sentence:

1.  Has at least one subject (or implied subject) and one verb.

2. Expresses a complete thought.

3.  Has only one clause.

4.  Begins with a capital letter and ends with a period.*

* For all sentences.

 

Simple sentences come in many forms:

SV

SSV

SVV SSVV

Imperative

Interrogative

 

These are examples of simple sentences. What are their SV structures?

 

1.   The scientist and her grad student run experiments and make notes.  SSVV

 

2.  The orchestra performed the symphony beautifully. SV

A conductor leads the orchestra.

A conductor drives  a train.

 

3.  She writes and recites wonderful poetry. SVV

 

4.  Jess and Marie enjoy reading romance novels. SSV

reading- gerund, noun

Reading is fun.

Walking is good for you.

 

5.   The engineer designs electrical systems for factories. SV

 

6.  The professor and her students explore distant galaxies through telescopes.    SSV

 

Cosmos- the whole universe

galaxy – collection of millions of stars


7.  The surgeon performed a life-saving operation on the old woman. SV

surgeon- a doctor who does/performs operations/surgery

scalpel- doctor’s special knife

plastic surgery/cosmetic surgery-

single-fold eyelid

double-fold eyelid

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment