Friday, 11 September 2026

EF711 P2 Class 4

 

Good afternoon.

 

Today’s Agenda

·      Attendance

·      “Self-Assessment Reflection” Week 1

·      Vocabulary exercises- new vocabulary- some challenging, some easier

·      Sentence writing work “What Can I Do Already?”

Go over sentence writing work from HW

·      Begin review of sentence types

“Overview of Sentence Types” HANDOUT

simple, compound, complex, compound-complex- next couple of weeks

·      IF TIME Begin paragraph form and structure

·      HW   Prepare for Monday- Reading the article. Prepare Thought

Question notes

 

Monday

·      Begin new article

·      Continue sentence styles- SIMPLE SENTENCES

 

Tuesday

·      Continue new article

·      Continue sentence styles- SIMPLE SENTENCES

Quiz tomorrow.

Talk about quiz.

Choose vocab to review

 

 

 

 

**

“Self-Assessment Reflection”

 

reflection and goal setting

BC education – student-centred education

Students can make their own education goals.

 

We will do one every Friday.

 

Don’t write on it yet.

 

 

 

VOCAB

 

-reflection(n)  reflect(v)- thinking, internal process, check, consider, mirror, deep thinking

 

 

 

 

Focus: Your work in this class this week.

 

 

Strengths- power, ability, mentality, skills, achievement, development, improvement, success

 

Challenges- difficulties, problems, negatives, going wrong, tricky, obstacles, areas for improvement

 

Goals- target, aims, dream, approach, future dream, the things you want, hopes, reach

 

Plans- project, program, schedule, practice regime, organized, step-by-step, commitment, solution

 

Goal-setting- powerful way to make improvements

 

 

 

Fill out Week 1

Pass it in to me by the end of the class today.

 

 

**

Vocabulary Activities

Ex1

1.    nevertheless- against expectation, however

TWO MODELS

It is cloudy today. Nevertheless, we are going to go to to the beach. SIMPLE SENTENCES

It is cloudy today; nevertheless, we are going to go to to the beach.

COMPOUND SENTENCE

 

2.take into account- consider(v) – for important things

think about

Think about what kind of ice cream you want.

If you want to get a new iphone18, you have to take into account/consider/ the cost.

You must consider your budget.

You should take into account how much gas you need to drive to Whistler.

weigh(v) – consider options

She is weighing the pros and cons of the iphone 18.3.

He is considering/weighing which college would be best.

weigh- weighed

weight

3.retrieve(v) get back, bring back

Golden Retriever

She retrieved the file from the cloud.

 

 

 

 

 

 

VERB TENSE

SIMPLE PRESENT          She retrieves her files from the cloud. He keeps

his files in the cloud.

SIMPLE PAST                 She retrieved the file from the cloud.

SIMPLE FUTURE           The dog will retrieve a stick if you throw it.

PRESENT PROGRESSIVE        I am retrieving my files right now. I’m

PAST PROGRESSIVE                I was retrieving my files when the internet dropped.

PRESENT PERFECT                  I have retrieved all of the files.

 

4. accomplishment(n) accomplish(v) achievement, milestone, success

IDIOM ‘with honours’ high marks in school

She is an honours student. He is on the honour roll.

 

5.motivate(v) encourage

motivation(n) encouragement

I give my kids a lot of encouragement.

discourage(v)

6.boost(v) increase

Take Vitamin C to boost your immune system.

7. diabetes- pancreas can not make enough insulin, your blood sugar is unstable

sugary drink- US soda  Canada pop

 

8.exposure

Wear sunscreen.

9. eye-catching(adj) everybody notices it

The full moon was eye-catching. The soccer ball on top of Science World is eye-catching.

10. owing to = because of

 

2.

1. interrogating- questioning aggressively

IDIOM grill(v)

interview, inquire, question(v) – not aggressive, low-key

2.    transferred(v)

Lydia was transferred to the Oakridge Aritzia from the downtown location.

3.first-aid kit- bandages, alcohol, gauze, bandaids, tweezers, scissors, tape

She knows first-aid. She can do CPR and AR.

CPR- cardio-pulmonary resuscitation

AR- artificial respiration

 

 

4. rectangle(n) rectangular(adj)

triangle(n) triangular(adj)

circle(n) circular(adj)

square(n) square(adj)

SLANG, IDIOM a square – not cool, boring, not hip

He is a square. She is a nerd.

 

5. content (adj) – happy, satisfied

ambitious(adj)- want to accomplish more

She is ambitious about her career.

ambition(n) She has a lot of ambition.

content(n) Youtubers make video content.

The customs agent searched the contents of the suitcase.

 

consent(v,n) agree, agreement

 

6. electrician- wiring

plumber- pipes, water

7.imagination

 

 

8.affect(v)- change, influence

effect(n)- result

The medivine has a great effect.

WORD FORMS effective(adj) effecting(adj)

affection(n)- showing love

infection-

9. politician- politics

diplomatic(adj)- having the ability to communicate or deal with different personalities

diplomat- a representative of a country

Are you a diplomatic person?

Diplomats are attached to embassies.

embassy- ambassador

consulate

Some countries are isolated.

 

10. advocate- supporter of, lawyer

**10-minute break**

 

 

 

River Ahmad is the first Afghan woman to climb Mount Everest.

She is an advocate of women’s rights in Afghanistan. noun

She advocates for womens’ rights Afghanistan. verb

support- in favour of, think it’s a good idea

advocate – do work to further the cause, activist

He is a human rights activist.

 

**

Sentence work from homework

1.    I do my work quickly, but he does his work slowly. COMPOUND

 I read quickly but write slowly. SIMPLE

-comma usage

I made food quickly, but it wasn’t cooked well enough. COMPOUND

wasn’t   was not  ‘ apostrophe

contraction- I will = I’ll

he is = he’s

she is = she’s

I am = I’m

Writing for school- formal, high-level “will not” “I am”

casual writing- text, message, letter “won’t” “I’m”

 

4. I will stay home tonight because I am tired.

COMMON ERROR, SMALL ERROR , because

5. relax(v) She likes to relax when she gets home from work.

relaxed(adj) He feels relaxed when he listens to music.

She listens to music. He listens to the radio. I usually listen to English podcasts. I always listen to my father.

He watches to TV.

 

2.    I tried the Golden Age milk tea at ChaiTime, and the taste was bold and robust.

bold, robust - big, strong

Canada has a robust economy.

I tried the milk tea, and the taste was sweet.

I tried the milk tea; the taste was sweet. semicolon

I tried the milk tea, but the taste was bitter.

I tried the milk tea; however, the taste was bitter.

 

NUMBERS

one two three four five six seven eight nine ten

11 12 13 14

I have 2 sisters. XXX

I have two sisters.

I have 11 brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment