Wednesday, 22 July 2026

Summer EF71011 Class 13

 

Summer English Foundations 7/Composition and Literary Studies 10

 

**

Registration for September will begin Monday, July 27th.

I will give out midterm recommendations on Thursday and Friday.

We will do short one-on-one chats.

We will discuss how things are going so far for you in this class. We can discuss what the next step for you should be.

MARKS:

Quiz 1         x/6

Quiz 2         x/6

Test 1          x/12

Quiz 3         x/6

Spoken 1    x/10

 

**

This can change- Hollie may shift instructors around.

Sept-Nov

I will be teaching these courses:

-Period 1 (9:15-11:30) EF7/10 Composition 11

-Period 2 (12-2:15)      EF7/10 Composition 11

You can consider those courses if you wish.

You can choose my Composition 11 or First Peoples 11.

You can choose self-paced 11-level courses.

You may consider other schools.

**

 

 

Good morning, everyone.

 

 

 

 

 

Today’s Agenda

·      Attendance

·      Change weight of Spoken marks

Spoken 1 10/10 7/7

Spoken 2 15/15 10/10  

·      Return Test 1

Go over

Optional RW for one point.

Pass in today or first thing Thursday

·      Complex sentences- continue noun clauses

Choose vocab for Quiz 3 tomorrow

·      Finish present progressive, Begin past progressive

·      Continue dialogue “Interviewing for a Job”

 

Thursday

·      Quiz 3- noun clauses (first 25m)

·      Talk about midterm recs

·      Midterm recommendations- first half of class alphabetically

Explain the registration process

·      HANDOUT Modals

 

Friday

·      Midterm recommendations- second half of class alphabetically

·      HW         Read story

 

Monday- July 27th

·      First day of registration for September

·      Begin grabbers- paragraphs

·      Begin verb tense- present perfect

 

 

Test 1

**

 

Test 1

Dividers.

Devices and notes put away.

Take out several sheets of paper.

Write in blue or black pen.

Double space.

Write between the margins.

Full name, class, and date top right corner.

Pass in by 12.

 

Title: Test 1

Write a well-organized paragraph of at least 150 words on the following topic:

Imagine you are in Mr. Wei’s situation in “I Confess”. You are the teacher. What would you do: confess your mistake or pretend nothing happened? Why would you act this way?

 

PARAGRAPH

Topic sentence- addresses the question

If I was Mr Wei, I would do the same thing that he did.  There are three reasons.

Supporting sentences- three supporting points, at least three sentences, probably more  

Concluding sentence

 

-Format

 

-On-topic?

-Quality of sentences

          -simple, compound, complex

          -punctuation , . ;

          -verb tense

          - verb form

          -spelling

 

Good first run at writing a paragraph.

We will do another paragraph next week.     

You can do a replacement paragraph on the second last day of the

course, Thursday, August 6th.

 

Option to rewrite Test 1 for one point

Title: Test 1 RW

Pass it in today or first thing tomorrow.

 

**

*Replacement quiz and/or test

 

 

 

**\** Optional replacement quiz and/or test **

 

A few people have asked me about rewriting quizzes and or tests. Maybe you had a bad quiz and or test or missed a quiz and/or test.

 

In my classes, I offer an optional replacement quiz and/or test for anyone who would like to do one.

 

On the second last class, you will have an opportunity to replace one of the quizzes and/or one of the tests that you wrote.

 

Again, this is optional. You don’t have to do it if you don’t want to.

 

So far we have done some two quizzes:

 

Quiz#1        X/6  1/6

Quiz#2        X/6  4/6

Quiz#3        x/6  3/6

Quix#4       x/6  4/6

Quiz#5        x/6

You have your marks for those.

You may have one quiz that you were not satisfied with.

One is one. Not two, not three. 1=1

You choose which one you want to replace.

 

You will do the replacement quiz during regular class time, as usual. We will do it the final (25m) at the end of the class.

 

The replacement quiz will be a new quiz. The replacement quiz will be a mix of all sentence styles.

e.g. If you want to replace your Quiz #2, the compound sentence quiz, the replacement quiz will not just be on compound sentence; it will be on all of the sentence styles. The replacement quiz will be six sentences, as usual- mix of simple, compound, complex.

 

**The replacement quiz will be a mix of all of the sentence styles: simple, compound, and complex.**

 

Your old mark will be replaced with the new mark. It will not be the higher of the two marks.

 

**

Replacement test

Exactly the same situation with the replacement test. It will be a paragraph on a new topic.

 

EF6/7/10 **No replacement opportunity for the essay

 

 

 

 

 

**

 

Mr. Wei was a new teacher. And he wanted to make a good impression.

SOBA

 

FIX

Mr. Wei was a new teacher, and he wanted to make a good impression.

Mr. Wei was a new teacher. Also, he wanted to make a good impression.

 

 

too tired

I am too tired. Casual taking

I am very/really tired.

I am too tired to go to the party tonight.

 

It shows that Mr Wei is inexperienced as a teacher.

It can show that Mr Wei is inexperienced as a teacher.

 

MODAL + INFINITIVE – ‘to’

can go        can eat                 can see

should go   should eat           should see

 

*shall- English speakers do not ‘shall’. extremely rare

Exceptions – very polite invitations “Shall we go?” “Shall we dance?”

“Shall we take our break?”

 

“I shall call you later today.” XXX 100% grammar book

AUTHENTIC ENGLISH

“I’ll call you later.”

 

 

“Shall I call you today?” very polite, low-frequency

“Can I call you later?” everyday English

 

VOCAB relax(v) relaxed(adj)

After she got home, she relaxed. verb

After she got home, she felt relaxed. adj

 

stressed(adj)

stress(n,v)

The sick cat acted stressed at the vet. adj

I am stressed out. phrasal verb-adj

He feels a lot of stress at his company. noun

His in-laws stress him out. verb

 

 

**

Continue noun clauses

Practice

Choose vocab to review for Quiz 3 tomorrow

Noun Clauses

 

Two pools of words to choose from for noun clauses:

A.   VERBS

-cognition- think, feel, believe, know, understand, forget, remember, recall, realize, recognize, worry, regret, wonder, find, see, hear

-communicating- say, yell, whisper, shout, scream, suggest, predict, speak, advise, murmur, mutter, stutter, mention

 

B.    We most often connect these verbs with these words: that, what, why, how, who, where, which (noun cl and adj cl)

 

Exercise 1:

Complete the sentences with appropriate noun clauses. Write your solutions on your own paper.

1.           I didn’t know __________.

2.           She wondered __________ .

3.           Can you tell me __________?

4.           They were surprised by __________ .

5.           It doesn’t matter what SV.

It doesn’t matter what you say.

It doesn’t matter what he wants.

It doesn’t matter who arrives first.

It doesn’t matter why he was late.

 

6.           The teacher explained __________ .

The teacher explained how the project would go.

The teacher explained how to do the backstroke.

 

 

 

7.           I’m not sure what you mean by that.

I’m not sure how to fix the toaster.

I’m not sure which one is better.

I’m not sure what I should do next.

I’m not sure what my schedule will be for next week.

I’m not sure what I should wear.

I’m not sure where she lives.

I’m not sure when she will leave/ is leaving.

AUTHENTIC present progressive used to suggest the future

 

8.           I couldn’t figure out __________ .

I couldn’t figure out how to cook the chicken so that it would not be rubbery.

I couldn’t figure out what happened.

I couldn’t figure out why she was angry.

9.           The problem is __________ .

10.      The manager asked __________ .

11.      Please remind her __________ .

12.      He didn’t believe __________ .

13.      Do you understand __________ ?

14.      The neighbors are curious about __________ .

15.      It’s important to know __________ before you rent a kayak.

It’s important to know how to paddle before you rent a kayak.

It’s important to know how to swim before you rent a kayak.

kayak-

canoe-

rowboat-

paddleboard-

paddleboat

water bike

jet ski-

powerboat- water skiing

 

16.      I’ll let you know __________ when I talk to the manager.

17.      We need to decide __________ before we leave.

18.      It amazes me __________ every day.

19.      I forgot __________ yesterday.

20.      She is afraid __________ if she speaks up.

 

Exercise 2

Change the questions to sentences with noun clauses. Write your solutions on your own paper.

1.    Who is she?  I don’t know __________ .

2.    What is that?  Do you know __________ .

What is that?  Do you know what that is?

What is that?

3.    What are those?  I don’t know __________ .

4.    Whose book is that?  I don’t know __________ .

I don’t know whose that book is.

I don’t know who owns that book.

 

 

5.    Who is that woman?  I wonder __________ .

6.    Whose house is that?  I wonder __________ .

7.    What is in that drawer?  I don’t know __________ .

I don’t know what is (in that drawer).

I don’t know what (in that drawer) is. XXX

(in that drawer) prepositional phrase- no V

 

8.    What is on TV tonight?  I wonder .....

I wonder what is (on TV tonight).

 

9.    Whose glasses are those?  Could you tell me __________ .

10.                       Who am I?   He doesn’t know __________ .

He doesn’t know who I am.

 

11.                       Who came to the party?  Tell me __________ .

Tell me who came to the party.

 

12.                       Who lives at that apartment?  Do you know __________ .

13.                       What happened?  Tell me __________ .

14.                       What kind of car does Jim have?  I can’t remember __________ .

15.                       How old are their children?  I can’t remember __________ .

 

16.                       Where can I catch the bus?  Could you please tell me __________ .

Could you please tell me where I can catch the bus?

 

17.                       Who did Sara invite?  I don’t know __________ .

I don’t know who Sara invited.

18.                       How long has Ted been living here?  Do you know __________ .

19.                       What time is Flight 677 supposed to arrive?  Can you tell

          me __________ .

Can you tell me what time Flight 677 is supposed to arrive?

What is the ETA of Flight 677. estimated time of arrival

ETD- estimated time of departure

 

flight delay

transit/layover

connecting flight

 

YVR- comfort dogs

comfort animals – hospital, childrens’ hospital

senior homes

autistic kids-

downtown hotel

 

20.                       Why is Yoko angry?  Do you know __________ .

Adapted from www.lamission.edu/esl/dtaylor/nounclauses.doc

 

10 vocab words to review:


1.    available

2.    hire

3.    experience

4.    meeting

5.    expect

6.    resume

7.    office

8.    salary

9.    manager

10.                       customer


 

Verbs – I will choose six of the verbs from Group A.

 

Class time-

1.Practice noun clauses

2.Modals

3.Past progressive verb tense

 

Nou  clauses Quiz

e.g

Write a complex sentence with a noun clause for each.

1.    understand          street

We don’t understand why so many streets were closed for FIFA.

 

 

**

Past progressive verb tense

These are the verb tenses we have learned so far:

 

Simple present   Maris plays volleyball every Sunday afternoon.

Simple past         She played volleyball last week.

Simple future      She is going to play again next week.

                               She’ll help you in a couple minutes.

 

Present progressive     She is playing right now.

 

New verb tense: past progressive

auxiliary verb + ‘ing’

 

Present progressive:

Mei is watching a movie right now.

Past progressive:

Mei is was watching a movie last night.

Mei was watching a movie last night.

 

EASIEST WAY TO SAY THIS- simple past

Mei watched a movie last night.

 

Why use past progressive?

** simple past and past progressive- little bit different usage

 

 

SIMPLE PAST- one event, finished

Mei watched a movie last night.

 

 

PAST PROGRESSIVE- event in the past, interrupted by something else

Mei was watching a movie last night when the electricity went out.

Mei was watching a movie last night, and her sister called.

 

 

 

 

 

 

EXAMPLES:

I was coming to school, and the bus stopped because of construction.

I came to school, and the bus stopped because of construction. XXX

She was driving to school when she saw that she needed gas.

 

I came to school this morning at 8am.

I was coming to school at 8am. XXX

I was coming to school at 8am when the bus got a flat tire.

 

 

My son and I had lunch in his classmate’s home at noon yesterday.

My son and I were having lunch in his classmate’s home at noon yesterday, and he broke a glass.

She was driving her car, and a dog ran in front of her.

She was driving from Victoria to Nanaimo, and a deer ran right in front of her car.

She drove from Victoria to Nanaimo yesterday.

She was driving from Victoria to Nanaimo yesterday, and she saw an accident on the highway.

When I was driving to Victoria yesterday, I saw three deer by the side of the highway. COMPLEX- ADV CL

I saw three deer by the side of the highway when I was driving to Victoria yesterday. COMPLEX- ADV CL

I drove to Victoria yesterday. SIMPLE SENT, SIMPLE PAST
I saw three deer standing by the side of the highway while I was driving to Victoria yesterday.

 

 

Commas

She was driving on the Sea-to-Sky, and she saw a moose. COMPOUND

She was driving on the Sea-to-Sky. She saw a moose. SIMPLE

She was driving on the Sea-to-Sky and saw a moose. SIMPLE SVV

She was driving on the Sea-to-Sky when she saw a moose. COMPLEX- ADV CL

Moose are active at night mostly.

Mice are active at night. They are nocturnal.

Raccoons are nocturnal.

 

Deer meat is called venison.

Venison has a gamy taste.

gamy(adj)- strong taste, wild animal

Venison stew is delicious.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment