Wednesday, 29 July 2026

Summer EF7/10 Class 18

 

Summer English Foundations 7/Composition and Literary Studies 10

Good morning, everyone.

 

Wednesday – Hump Day

 

Today’s Agenda

·      Attendance

·      Revisit verb tenses

·      Continue “Dead Man’s Path”

·      Begin last kind of clause- complex sentences- adjective clauses

Quiz- adjective clauses

Which day- Friday or Tuesday?

·      HANDOUTS -essay work

*Grabbers

·      HW         Read over the essay handouts

 

Thursday

·      Continue last kind of clause- complex sentences- adjective clauses

·      Continue essay work

·       

 

**Test 2 -paragraph on “Dead Man’s Path”- Thursday or Friday

 

Friday

·      “Learning Reflection and Goal Setting” Week 4

·      Vocabulary exercises

·      Essay work

·      Choose vocab for Quiz 4- adjective clauses

 

FINAL WEEK

Monday – Holiday BC Day

No school

 

Tuesday

·      Essay

 

Wednesday

 

Thursday

·      Optional opportunity to do one replacement quiz and/or one replacement test

 

Friday- Final day

Marks due by 9am

Non-instructional day

No quizzes or tests

One-on-one conferences about final reports

**

 

 

**

Revisit verb tenses and verb types

 

IMO the most important verb tenses:

SIMPLE PRESENT

SIMPLE PAST

SIMPLE FUTURE

 

PRESENT PROGRESSIVE

PAST PROGRESSIVE

 

PRESENT PERFECT

PRESENT PERFECT PROGRESSIVE

 

 

 

Other verb tenses- lower-frequency

FUTURE PROGRESSIVE- substitute SIMPLE FUTURE

“I will be going ‘ll go to Surrey tonight.”

 

PAST PERFECT- substitute SIMPLE PAST

She had lived lived in Japan from 1998-2001.

 

FUTURE PERFECT- substitute SIMPLE FUTURE

Mie will have finished will finish her work by 7PM.

 

PAST PERFECT PROGRESSIVE- substitute PAST PROGRESSIVE

She had been working was working in Japan when the earthquake happened in 2009.

 

FUTURE PERFECT PROGRESSIVE

Jun will have been working  for 10 years by the time he gets promoted to manager.

Jun will need 10 years of work experience before he gets promoted to manager.

 

Jun is going to get need/require 10 years of work experience before he gets promoted to manager.

 

I am going to need to save more money before I can buy a new guitar.

I am going to need more money before I can buy a new guitar.

 

 

I will need to save more money before I can buy a new guitar.

I need to save more money before I can buy a new guitar.

 

going to – writing   gonna- casual talking, not writing- pronunciation

want to  - wanna

got to-  gotta – have to, need to, must

I have got to pick up my sister.

 

MODALS

I got to pick up my sister. NOT GRAMMATICAL

I have to pick up my sister. must pick

I have got to pick up my sister. STRONGER must must must

 

12 verb tenses- 7 are most useful.

My advice is to focus on those seven verb tenses.

 

**

KEY VERB TENSES – PROFICIENCY

SIMPLE PRESENT

SIMPLE PAST

SIMPLE FUTURE

PRESENT PROGRESSIVE

PAST PROGRESSIVE

PRESENT PERFECT

PRESENT PERFECT PROGRESSIVE

 

 

1.    arrived   had left / left

2.    has studied / studied    moved

3.    will launch / is going to launch / is launching

4.    have worked / have been working

5.    will finish / is going to finish

6.    traveled   settled

will travel   settle

7.    studied

8.    had finished / finished

9.    rains / is raining

10.                       had prepared / prepared / was preparing

11.                       was watching   went

12.                       have been

NYC- ‘The Big Apple”

13.                       didn’t come / couldn’t come

14.                       SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD had studied / studied

could study

15.                       had read / read

16.                       will run / is going to run / is running

marathon- 43km?

ultramarathon-

You have to pace yourself. don’t go too quickly

Ironman/Ironwoman-

17.                       met

18.                       was

19.                       hasn’t seen

I saw that movie already.

20.                       has finished / finished

21.                       had taught / taught / was teaching /used to teach

22.                       have been reading

23.                       have travelled

 

Exercise 2

1.    have been waiting

2.    were playing

3.    will visit / are going to visit

4.    built

5.    has stolen  stole- simple past SPOKEN

6.    believe

7.    is launching

8.    will announce / are going to announce

9.    see

10.                       knew SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD

11.                       has worked   has been working

12.                       is going to leave / will leave / leaves

 

 

 

**

“Dead Man’s Path”

Read aloud. Talk about vocab.

 

unprogressive- not modern, old-fashioned

Mission- religious outpost

missionaries- spread religious belief

converted to Christianity

 

“shan’t we” Very British

“shall”

 

bazaar- outdoor market

bizarre- strange

haggle- argue over price, bargain

 

seeks high status

 

downcast(adj) sad, disappointed, blue

 

rank(adj)- awful smelling

 

‘you people’ – disrespectful and rude sounding

 

smug and superior, arrogant

 

homonyns

row(cow)- fight

The husband and wife had a big row.

row(toe)- a line, row a boat

 

pagan(adj,n)- not monotheistic, believing in many gods

 

barbed wire-

electric fence on a farm

 

eradicate- destroy, totally kill

 

fantastic – like a fantasy

 

Did he get what he deserved?

 

 

“Thought Questions”

 

 

 

 

**

Essay- begin tomorrow

Essay work (EF5 level and above)

 

sentences—paragraphs—essays – papers (college, university: 5, 10, 20 pages) – thesis/graduating essay- graduating from degree (80-120 pages) – book (300-600 pages)- non-fiction, fiction

apply to postsec- essay

 

** sentences- sentence types:

simple, compound, complex, compound-complex

 

** GOOD SENTENCE WRITING IS THE FOUNDATION OF ALL WRITING

Building vocab, word form, verb tense, verb form, preposition, phrasal verbs, punctuation, etc.

 

Developing authentic(natural) phrasing

 

You picked a hard road to walk down. You are brave and strong! We have to be.

Have hope and vision and a target.

IDIOM Never say never. Have resolve!

Do your homework.

IDIOM The sky is the limit.

Work hard.

 

 

 

** paragraphs – structure    Grabber

Topic sentence

Supporting sentences,

Concluding sentence

(150-200 words)

 

- format                - font size, doublespace, indent, paper orientation, name and class

 

 

** essay -  multi-paragraph writing, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 paragraphs on a topic

 

ENGLISH 12 EXAM Writing prompt: “in essay form” “in paragraphs” “multi-paragraph” – means write an essay

“at least 300 words”  the sweetspot, the Goldilocks zone (300-350, 400ww)

“Goldilocks and the Three Bears”- fairy tale, children tale

 

 

paragraph - at least 150 words

essay – at least 300 words*

*You don’t have to write a book. You just have to 3-5 short paragraphs.

 

We will focus on the five-paragraph essay – basic model, good for school

-academic essay

-3X5 essay – 3 points, 5 paragraphs

**

 

**

#2 best way to get better English- reading books

Go VPL. Talk to a librarian.

get recommendations- “young adult” teenager books

Some people are readers. Some people are not.

 

#1 best way to get better English- Get an English-speaking boyfriend or girlfriend.

 

#3 join social group – hiking, walking, pottery, photography, sports, etc.

 

 

 

 

**

Adjective clauses

Adjective clauses

high-frequency words for adjective clauses: who   that   which

 

who- people

that- things, animals

which- special things, unique things

 

**whom** rarely used’ grammar book word

whom- rarely used, usually substitute “who”

object pronoun

 

 

EXAMPLES:

The man who lives next door is friendly. adj cl SV 

‘who’ subject pronoun

The man who I was talking to is friendly. adj cl SV 

‘who’ object pronoun

GRAMMAR BOOK The man whom I was talking to is friendly.

We usually just say ‘who’.

 

When you have an object pronoun, ‘who’, you have some choices:

1. The man who I was talking to is friendly.   very authentic sounding

2. The man who I was talking to is friendly.   most authentic

The man I was talking to is friendly.   most authentic

3. The man whom I was talking to is friendly.   grammar book

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*who-people

The people who are in this class are hardworking.

My neighbour who parks his car in front of my house is a sketchy guy.

VOCAB SLANG sketchy- doesn’t look right or look safe

There is a sketchy-looking guy on the bus.

 

*that- things, animals

He has a phone that takes great video.

She took a bus that was crowded.

I saw a dog that had three legs.

I saw a dog that can carry bags in its mouth for her owner.

 

*which – special, unique things

Her most valued possession is her necklace which her grandmother left her.

She comes from Beijing, which is the capital of China.

He grew up in Tokyo, which is a huge metropolis.

We study at SHEC, which is on Fraser Street.

Comma usage with adj cl- complicated

 

I grew up in the London that is in Ontario.

 

Starbucks

Let’s meet at the Starbucks that is on the corner of Fraser and 49th.

Her family own Yaas, which is in Longsdale.

The concert was at BC Place, which is downtown.

 

who, that, which

adjective clause- describes a noun, gives extra information

e.g.

My neighbour isn’t very neighbourly.

My neighbour who is elderly isn’t very neighbourly.

 

 

Commas around adjective clauses:

A His mother who is retired likes playing mahjong.

B His mother, who is retired, likes playing mahjong.

Same meaning? Yes? No?

 

How many mothers does he have?

 

A more than one

B one

 

CONTINUE TOMORROW

 

No comments:

Post a Comment