Tuesday, 21 July 2026

Summer EF710 Class 12

 

Summer English Foundations 7/Composition and Literary Studies 10

 

**

Registration for September will begin Monday, July 27th.

I will give out midterm recommendations on Thursday and Friday.

We will do short one-on-one chats.

We will discuss how things are going so far for you in this class. We can discuss what the next step for you should be.

MARKS:

Quiz 1         x/6

Quiz 2         x/6

Test 1          x/12

Quiz 3         x/12

Spoken 1    x/10

 

**

This can change- Hollie may shift instructors around.

Sept-Nov

I will be teaching these courses:

-Period 1 (9:15-11:30) EF7/10 Composition 11

-Period 2 (12-2:15)      EF7/10 Composition 11

You can consider those courses if you wish.

You can choose my Composition 11 or First Peoples 11.

You can choose self-paced 11-level courses.

You may consider other schools.

**

 

 

Good morning, everyone.

 

 

 

 

 

Today’s Agenda

·      Attendance

·      Continue with present progressive verb tense

·      Complex sentences- begin noun clauses

 

Wednesday

·      Return Test 1

Go over

Optional RW for one point.

Pass in Wednesday of first thing Thursday

·      Begin past progressive

·      Complex sentences- continue noun clauses

Choose vocab for Quiz 3 tomorrow

·      Continue dialogue “Interviewing for a Job”

 

Thursday

·      Quiz 3- noun clauses (first 25m)

·      Midterm recommendations- first half of class alphabetically

Explain the registration process

·      HANDOUT Modals

 

Friday

·      Midterm recommendations- second half of class alphabetically

 

Monday- July 27th

·      First day of registration for September

 

 

 

 

Continue with verb tenses

Simple present

Simple past

Simple future

 

 

Present progressive/ present continuous- same thing, meaning

‘ing’ verbs

 

auxiliary verb- helper verb, extra verb

AUX- plug-in in the back of your TV, computer monitor, car

 

Present progressive

auxiliary verb + ‘ing’ verb

He is running down the sidewalk.  right now, at this moment

She is talking on the phone to her sister. right now, at this moment

 

COMMON ERROR for beginner students

I eat an apple. XXX vt

I eat an apple. everyday

 

FIX

I eat an apple everyday.

I eat apples. behaviour, truth

She does not eat meat. She is a vegetarian.

vegan- no animal products at all

 

I am eating an apple right now. present progressive/continuous

 

He is at the gym. SIMPLE PRESENT

He is working out. PRESENT PROGRESSIVE

 

We are in the classroom. We are learning English.

 

 

COMMON ERROR She talking on the phone to her sister. XXX

FIX She is talking on the phone to her sister.

They are talking to each other.

 

I talking XXX

I am talking.

 

You talking XXX

You are talking.

 

Be careful with subject verb agreement:

I am studying French at school.

You are studying French at school.

He is studying French at school.

We are studying French at school.

Jun is studying French at school.

They are studying French at school.

 

Can you write sentences with this verb tense?

How consistently?

all the time?

most of the time?

sometimes?

never?

 

AUX + ing

My husband is working on his computer.

My kids are playing at the school.

 

 

 

 

NOT SURE: I think that he is working on his computer.

I think he is working on his computer.

Noun clause- learn in a couple weeks

I think (that) my son is working right now, but he might be studying with his girlfriend.

I believe that she is telling the truth.

I suspect that the dog is sick.

I guess that she is coming home after work.

 

I believe (that) I can fly.

I think (that) I’m doing ok/well/ great/ so-so in the class.

 

NOUN CLAUSES- couple weeks

He thinks his daughter is the most beautiful girl in the world.

He thinks (that) his daughter is the most beautiful girl in the world.

 

 

**

Difference between simple present and present progressive

Simple present-  She studies French at school. usual activity

 

Present progressive- She is studying French at school. happening right now, currently

-deeper implication- sounds not permanent, sounds temporary

 

 

Mei lives in Vancouver.

Mei is living in Vancouver.

What is the difference in meaning?

What does present progressive suggest about the future?

 

 

Mei lives in Vancouver. -sounds permanent, going to stay, plans to stay

Mei is living in Vancouver. -sounds temporary, maybe not going to stay

The intention, deeper meaning is a little bit different.

 

She is staying in Vancouver. suggests a very short time

I have an uncle who is staying with me.

 

Example:

We study English at SHEC.

We are studying English at SHEC.

Which one makes the most sense?

 

 

I teach at SHEC.

I am teaching at SHEC.

Which one makes the most sense?

 

I am teaching EF45 this term.

I teach EF5 this summer. XXX

You are taking EF45 this term.

 

I am teaching until retire. 

I will teach until I retire. simple future

I am living in Vancouver. I will move somewhere else maybe in a few years.

 

She does yoga.

She is doing yoga. currently, right now

 

He goes to the gym twice a week. always, routine, habit

He is going to the gym twice a week. just for a short time

 

Swimming is a full-body workout.

Playing basketball helps you maintain bone density.

bone density- how strong your bones are

 

Some diseases run in the family.

They are genetic.

 

Advice for good health:

Don’t smoke.

Get some exercise twice or three times a week.

Get enough sleep.

Eat well.

Drink water.

Don’t worry.

Keep your social relationships.

 

 

**

present progressive verb tense

AUX VERB to be + ‘ing’ verb

He is watching TV.

COMMON ERRORS

He watching TV. XXX

He is watch TV. XXX

 

She was watching TV. past progressive

 

Jun is watching TV.

His friends are watching TV.

I am watching TV.

 

*People forget, especially when they are doing a test and feeling nervous. If you make a mistake, everybody still knows what you mean.

Unfortunately, in an academic setting, you really have to get it right.

*

She hurt her hand at work. She goes / is going to a physiotherapist.

 

She is going to a chiropractor. -temporary, just for a while

She goes to a chiropractor. -long-term, no planned ending

 

Chiropractors crack your joints. You can get a chiropractive adjustment.

 

I am going to a chiropractor.

I go to a chiropractor.

 

Mei goes to an acupuncturist.

acupuncturist- needling

The tight muscle spasms and then relaxes.

VOCAB spasm- your muscle jumps unconsciously

 

 

Main meaning of present progressive – right now

I am sitting down.

You are writing.

We are listening to each other.

She is eating a sandwich.

He is looking at his phone.

Maria is thinking about her mother.

IDIOM A penny for your thoughts. What are you thinking about?

IDIOM He is lost in thought. She is a million miles away.

She is daydreaming.

MODERN IDIOM He is zoned out.

 

IDIOM Can I pick your brain? Can I get your opinion about something?

 

She does yoga twice a day. It is good for her tight muscles and tendons. SIMPLE PRESENT

I am doing yoga right now. I will call you back. PRESENT PROGRESSIVE- right now

 

She does deep breathing every morning. SIMPLE PRESENT

She is breathing deeply right now. PRESENT PROGRESSIVE

 

He stretches every morning.

She is stretching right now.

 

He is stretching the truth.

She has to stretch her budget every month.

 

AUTHENTIC USAGE- CASUAL TALKING

present progressive – suggest the future

 

We are going to the park in ten minutes. suggests the future

ALTERNATE: We will go to the park in the minutes.

 

We will have a quiz tomorrow. STIFF, GRAMMARY

We are having a quiz tomorrow.

We are going to have a quiz tomorrow. AUTHENTIC, CASUAL

 

COMPLICATED VERB

We will be having a quiz tomorrow. FUTURE PROGRESSIVE- lower frequency

We are about to go to the park.

 

MY CHOICE:

We are going to have a quiz Thursday. NATURAL:-SOUNDING, AUTHENTIC, GRAMMAR BOOK?

 

 

VOCAB gonna - going to NOT FOR WRITING, JUST PRONUNCIATION SHORTCUT

We’re gonna have a quiz Thursday. JUST TALKING

We’re going to have a quiz on Thursday. FORMAL SPEAKING

 

SLANGY I am going to go.

Im’ma go. TEENAGERY

 

SLANGY I have to book. I gotta go. I’m going to roll.

I’m going to take off.

The dog was bookin’ it across the field.

 

 

We are going to go to the park in ten minutes. SIMPLE FUTURE

We are going to lunch in 30 minutes.

We are going to have lunch in 30 minutes. SIMPLE FUTURE

 

She is going to Calgary next month.

She is going to move/go to Calgary next month. SIMPLE FUTURE

He is playing basketball tonight.

 

PRESENT PROGRESSIVE

Jun is walking around Tsawwassen Mills mall.

We are walking together hand-in-hand.

I am walking in the woods (and) looking for birds with binoculars.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

**

MODALS- discuss another day

want to + infinitive – ‘to’

want to + to go

S + want to go

I want to go to the pool.

He wants to go to the pool.

We want to go to the pool.

Jons want to go to the pool.

 

MODALS / MODAL AUXILIARIES

can, could , may, might, must, should, would, will, etc.

have to, need to, ought to, etc.

be going to, have got to, etc,

 

Alison might + to go to the party.

Alison might go to the party.

COMMON ERROR

Alison might went to the party. XXX

 

Alison might go/eat/play/study/work ..

 

MODALS – no clear tense, suggest time frame

 

You should have cleaned up your room.

 

GERUND – ‘ing’ noun, looks like a verb

She likes swimming. noun

She is swimming. verb

*NOTE: Future tenses are modals. ‘will’ ‘be going to’

 

goggles- swim goggles, ski goggles

 

 

 

COMMON ERROR

She is gonna go to Calgary.

SLANG, CASUAL TALKING gonna – not for writing

writing – going to

 

wanna CASUAL TALKING – not for writing

want to

 

I dunno. XXX CASUAL TALKING – not for writing

I don’t know.

 

AUTHENTIC WAY TO SUGGEST THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE

She is about to watch the movie.

He is about to call his sister.

Did you call your sister? I’m about to. I am going to very soon.

We are about to leave. We are going to leave very soon.

 

 

He is going to pick up some milk on the way home. suggests the future

 

He is going. I’m going.  leaving

 

Carol is kayaking around Rocky Point Park. right now

Benjamin is thinking about his family. He is feeling lonely/homesick/nostalgic. right now

 

VOCAB homesick(adj) homesickness(n)

VOCAB nostalgic(adj) nostalgia(n)- you miss the past in a sweet but sad way, a feeling of loss, a sweet and sad feeling

VOCAB bittersweet(adj) – happy and sad mixed together

 

Alzheimer’s, dementia- neurological decline, brain disease

 

 

COMMON ERROR for present progressive

He running down the sidewalk. XXX

He is run down the sidewalk. XXX

FIX

AUX VERB+’ing’ verb = present progressive

He is running down the sidewalk.

 

 

present progressive/continuous- happening right now

Jun is reading a book at the moment/right now.

just right now-not forever, sounds temporary

Sandra is watching a movie.  just right now-not forever, sounds temporary

 

EXERCISES:

“Comparing Simple Present and Present Progressive”

Simple Present Tense

1.work

2.work

3.works

4.works

5.works

6.work

7.work

 

Present Progressive Tense

8. am working

9. are working

10 is working

11 is working

12.is working

13.are working

14. are working

 

VOCAB hard / hardly

hard(adv)- with energy, withenthusiasm, exertion

hardly(adv)- almost not at all, very little effort

 

I am hardly working. doing almost nothing, barely

She is working hard. sweating, nose to the grindstone

 

He could hardly/barely hear her.

We can barely/hardly make you out in the picture.

 

I hardly work at all. simple present- normally, every day

I am hardly working. present progressive- right now

 

Exercise 3 “A Busy Place”

1.    is – simple present- always, usually

2.    are happening- present progressive SUGGESTS-“now”

3.    are taking off- present progressive SUGGESTS-“right now”

Planes take off. Planes land.

 

PHRASAL VERB verb + preposition

take+off

sit down

walk away

pick up

get up

lie down

go home away

Shut up! Get out!

 

look up

look up to -admire, respect   She looks up to her mother.

 

4.    are landing , are coming in for a landing

How could that fake Air Canada pilot have flown for 27 years without getting caught?

5.    are arriving

ETA – estimated time of arrival

YVR- ETA

6.    are thinking about

PHRASAL VERB think about

7.    are waiting

8.    are leaving

9.    are beginning

10.                       are checking

11.                       is buying

12.                       is talking to

PHRASAL VERBS

talk to

talk with

IDIOM It is like talking to a wall. the other person isn’t listening

 

13.                       are eating

14.                       are cleaning

15.                       picking up

PHRASAL VERBS

pick up- 1.get a person, give them a drive

Jun picked up her son at school.

2.buy just a few things (groceries)

He picked up some milk.

They got groceries. (a lot of food)

I have to pick some paper when I go home.

 

pick+up+on – begin to understand

Maria is picking up on English. She is starting to understand it.

 

Practice

1.    studies

She is studying every day. sounds inauthentic

2.    am doing

3.    are watching

4.    Do you get to school on time?

5.    eat

6.    is ringing

7.    always go

8.    is usually sleepy

9.    Is the class starting right now?

The class is starting right now.

10 never reads

 

Adverbs of Frequency

always

100% I always watch TV at night.

90% She almost always eats breakfast.

80% Mike usually gets up late. 

70% I often exercise in the morning. 

50-60% They sometimes go to Starbucks.

30% I seldom see him.

20% I rarely see him. 

10% hardly ever see him. 

0% We never come to class late.

IDIOM once in a blue moon- rarely

They eat out once in a blue moon.

 

 

 

He invited his friends out for lunch. When the bill came, he said, “It’s on me.”

“It’s on me.” “It’s my treat.” “My treat.” “I got it.” “It’s my turn.”

 

“Let’s split it.” pay half-half

IDIOM “Dutch treat.” “Go Dutch” pay half-half

Slur against Dutch people. The stereotype about Dutch people is that they are tight-fisted.

IDIOM tight-fisted- hates to spend money, cheap

VOCAB stingy, cheap -NEGATIVE

frugal, good with money- POSITIVE

You are cheap. No, I am frugal.

 

IDIOM Money burns a hole in his pocket.

 

Canadian culture: The tradition is for the man to pay, at least for early dates.

 

gender equality- people pay equally

 

MY OPINION In a marriage, you should combine finances. – all money

Both people should know about the budget.

IDIOM If you watch your pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves.

 

 

 

I will pay.

 

 in Vancouver. simple present- sounds permanent

 

She is living in Vancouver. present progressive- sounds temporary

What is your situation?

 

He is from The Philippines, but he is living in Canada. sounds temporary

She is from The Philippines, but she lives in Canada. sounds permanent

 

Country names ‘the’

The Unites States of America

The Canada

The European Union, The EU

The China, The People’s Republic of China

Iran, The Islamic Republic of Iran

The Vatican

The United Arab Emirates, The UAE

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Japan

 

ACTION: Try some sentences with present progressive verb tenses using the verbs from “100 Top”. Please work together if you want. I will walk around and help if you want.

 

EXAMPLES:

move

We are moving to a new apartment, so we are packing up all of our stuff. COMPOUND SENT

The workers are building a house.

We are thinking about GERUND.

We are thinking about going for a walk later.

We are thinking about our dreams and plans.

We are thinking about our family back in our home country.

 

 

She lost her keys, so she is looking for them now.

We are walking in the park, and we are getting some fresh air.

We are parking close to the park, so will get tickets ahead of/before our friends.

at a door-  Go ahead. You first. After you.

giving something- Here you go. Here you are. There you go. There you are.

 

She is talking to her son, and she is looking straight into his eyes.

 

My grandson is growing, so he needs healthy food.

 

He is building a Lego house, and he is listening to music. COMPOUND

He is building a Lego house and listening to music. SIMPLE

 

 

 

 

REVIEW VERB TENSES SO FAR:

SIMPLE PRESENT

SIMPLE PAST

SIMPLE FUTURE

PRESENT PROGRESSIVE

 

 

 

“I have to think less in Spanish/Farsi/Mandarin/Vietnamese.”

 

It is hard, but not impossible.

 

EXPRESSION You’re fishing for compliments.

 

 

 

 

QUESTIONS:

 

Where do you live? Where do you call home?

Where are you living? sounds very temporary

I was living in Burnaby, but now I live in Vancouver.

 

I live in Vancouver. I don’t know how long I’m going to stay here.

I am up in the air.

IDIOM up in the air-  undecided

It’s up in the air. It has not been decided.

 

What course will you take in April? It’s up in the air.

 

Where are you going? I’m going to China for six months.

 

I live in Canada part of the year and China part of the year.

 

I am living in Vancouver right now.

Do you live in Vancouver, or are you living in Vancouver?

 

I live in Vancouver now. I think I will stay in Vancouver.

 

MISTRANSLATION FROM MANDARIN:

We lived stayed in a hotel for one week.

live- stay hotel

 

We are staying at the Holiday Inn by the airport.

 

The poor man is living in his car.

 

We are camping at Golden Ears.

 

Useful subtle difference-

I am working in a restaurant. sounds temporary, survival job, not your permanent career, not your dream

 

I work in hospitality. sounds permanent, your chosen career

hospitality- restaurant, hotel, cruise ship, tourism

 

I am teaching at SHEC.

I teach at SHEC.

 

This machine isn’t working. sounds temporary, can be fixed

The photocopier isn’t working. It isn't double-siding.

The wireless internet router isn’t working. Turn it off, and turn it back on.

 

The computer doesn’t work. It never works properly. sounds permanent

 

Junko is studying English. temporary

She is studying English at SHEC. temporary

 

 

 

It is raining now. temporary

It is snowing.

It rains a lot in Vancouver. permanent, truth

 

Ali is looking for a new house/apartment/job. temporary  You will stop looking when you find the thing that you’re looking for.

 

Mei is looking for her artistic voice/own style.

 

Jon is looking for a wife.

 

I am feeling a little bit under the weather today. just right now

IDIOM under the weather- sick

I have to cancel our dinner date. I am coughing a bit. I don’t want to get you sick. I don’t want to give you anything.

 

 

Mo is not working right now. temporary

The elevator isn’t working in my building. temporary

The elevator does not work in my building. permanent

The elevator is out of order. sounds temporary

 

The elevator isn’t work in my building. XXX

 

I am working freelance. sounds temporary

I work freelance. sounds permament

 

I am going to work early today.

 

ain’t- slang for talking, avoid it

 

Is your school year going well? How are your courses going?

 

ACTION

Let’s practice a bit. Try wriiting some sentences using present progressive verb tense. We can share them tomorrow.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Is it sunny? Is it cloudy/cold/warm? adjectives

Is it rainy? adjective

Is it raining? verb

Is it snowing right now? verb

 

We aren’t paying attention in class.

We are paying attention in class. now, temporary

We pay attention in class. always

 

I am a good student. simple present- truth

I am being a good student. XXX

I am trying to be a good student/father/mother/friend.

I would like to be  a good student.

She would like to be an accountant in Canada.

 

 

I am a Canadian citizen.

I am being a Canadian citizen. XXX

I am applying to become a Canadian citizen.

 

try to do, try to be, try to make, try to improve, try to make

Tonight, I will try to make some Morroccan chicken.

 

I am learning English. present prog- right now

 

 

I study French. always

I am studying French. active right now

 

I play guitar.

I am playing guitar with a band in Vancouver.

 

The driving instructor teaches people how to drive.

The driving instructor is teaching Joan how to drive.

 

My friend paints portraits.

My friend was painting your portrait last week.

painting your picture- brush

 

Kai usually plays soccer, but he is playing a lot of volleyball these days.

 

I usually drink coffee, but I was drinking/had some tea yesterday.

She usually sleeps well, but recently she has not been sleeping well.

 

 

present progressive –

Mei works at Superstore.

Mei is working at Superstore.

 

Doris talks to her sister every week.

Doris is talking to her sister.

 

**

 

Noun Clauses

 

SIMPLE SENTENCES

COMPOUND SENTENCES

COMPLEX SENTENCES

-adverb clauses

-noun clauses

-adjective clauses (Next week)

 

NOUN CLAUSES:

 

think, say

e.g. Mei thinks that SV.

Mei thinks that she should get a haircut.

Jun said that SV.

Jun said that he will be early tomorrow.

 

Two pools of words to choose from for noun clauses:

A.   VERBS

think, feel, believe, know, understand, forget, remember, recall, realize, recognize, worry, wonder, see, hear, find, predict, regret

say, yell, whisper, shout, suggest, , speak, advise, murmur, mumble, stutter, mention, holler

 

B.    We most often connect these verbs with these words: that, what, why, how, who, where

 

EXAMPLES:

Maris said why she was late today.

Maris didn’t tell us why she was late today.

 

He said that he has seen the terra-cotta warriors in real life.

 

Joe understands that he must stop smoking.

 

I don’t know what she wants.

 

We don’t know why she is so happy today.

 

She wonders why she had to spend the whole night in Emergency after she got stung by a bee.

 

I wonder whether / if the plane will land in Hong Kong on time tomorrow.

whether or not

 

Mix and match words form the A group and the B group to make complex sentences with noun clauses.

 

wonder + how

She wonders how her dog opened the door.

I wonder how I can pass the test.

 

wonder + why

I wonder why she is not listening to me.

 

wonder +  who

Mei is wondering who is talking to her son.

 

 

wonder + when

I wonder when the bus will come.

He wonders when he can see his friend next.

 

know + why

I don’t know why she is mad at me.

I don’t know why she is crying.

I don’t know why she is so happy today.

I know why she is happy.

 

I didn’t know why she was mad at me. simple past tense

 

know + what

I don’t know what she wants.

COMMON ERROR

I don’t know what does she want. XXXZ

What does she want? question

what she wants NOUN CLAUSE

 

What does she want? simple sentence- interrogative

I don’t know what she wants. complex sentence- noun clause

 

What should I do?

I don’t know what I should do.

 

I don’t know what makes you feel like that.

I don’t know what happened to her.

 

I don’t know where she is these days.

 

 

 

 

GRAMMAR: S+V

I don’t know what happened to her.

I don’t know what she is doing these days.

 

I don’t know what is going on.

He doesn’t remember what happened.

 

 

I don’t know where she is these days.

 

I don’t know what are you doing. XXX

What are you doing?

I don’t know what you are doing.

 

know + which

I don’t know which concert will be better.

 

know + who

I don’t know who you are.

IDIOM Who do you think you are? seems smug or superior, entitled, acts like they are better than you, arrogant, narcissistic, etc.

Who does he think he is?

 

Narcissus- Greek myth – beautiful boy, self-absorbed

Echo – magical girl, loved Narcissus

It is a story of unrequited love.

unrequited(adj)- love not returned

 

 

Do you have AC in your house?

air conditioning

HVAC- heating, ventilation, air conditioning?

 

Exercise 1:

Complete the sentences with appropriate noun clauses. Write your solutions on your own paper.

Exercise 1:

Complete the sentences with appropriate noun clauses. Write your solutions on your own paper.

1.           I didn’t know how to type.

how + infinitive, NO S+V

She knows how + infinitive

She knows how to drive.

 

I didn’t know what she saw.

 

2.           She wondered __________ .

She wondered how much the pants cost.

 

3.           Can you tell me __________?

Can you tell me where I should go?

Can you tell me why did you carve the characters in the desk? XXX

Why did you carve the characters in the desk?

Can you tell me why you carved the characters in the desk?

Can you tell me how can I help you? XXX

How can I help you?

Can you tell me how I can help you?

Can you tell me what time it is? Time for you to buy a watch.

 

Can you tell me who forgot the test?

Can you tell me who forgot their swimming suits?

Can you tell me what happened there?

What happened there?

 

Can you tell me what happened?

Can you tell me what she wants?

 

 

4.           They were surprised by __________ .

        They were surprised by what she said.

        They were surprised by when they won the lottery.

They were surprised by their boss who hired them. Meaning?

They were surprised that the boss hired them. Different meaning

 

No comments:

Post a Comment