Summer English Foundations 7/Composition and Literary
Studies 10
Good morning, everyone.
REMINDER
P1 and P2 EF7/10/Comp11
80% the same as this course.
You can register in self-paced at any time. Self-paced does
not full up like regular classes. There is no cut-off.
For example, you can register for self-paced and begin the
same day.
I got the information from the horse’s mouth.
IDIOM from the horse’s mouth
The advisors are super busy, so wait a week or so. Then send
them an email.
You do self-paced as quickly or as slowly as you want.
Most people need someone to motivate them to do the work.
Today’s Agenda
·
Attendance
·
First day of registration for September
The email with the link for registration will be send soon.
·
NEW VERB “Causative Verbs”
·
Listening fun exercise
Tuesday
·
Begin last kind of clause- complex sentences-
adjective clauses
·
Begin “Dead Man’s Path”
·
Begin verb tense- present perfect
·
Begin grabbers- paragraph structure
Wednesday
·
Continue grabbers- paragraph structure
·
Continue verb tense- present perfect
·
Continue last kind of clause- complex sentences-
adjective clauses
Quiz- adjective clauses Which day?
·
Continue “Dead Man’s Path”
Thursday
·
Continue last kind of clause- complex sentences-
adjective clauses
·
Test 2 -paragraph on “Dead Man’s Path”
·
Essay work
Friday
·
“Learning Reflection and Goal Setting” Week 4
·
Vocabulary exercises
·
Essay work
FINAL WEEK
Monday – Holiday BC Day
No school
Tuesday
Essay?
Wednesday
Essay?
Thursday
·
Optional opportunity to do one replacement quiz
and/or one replacement test
Friday- Final day
Marks due by 9am
Non-instructional day
No quizzes or tests
One-on-one conferences about
final reports
Causative Verbs
cause- cause
and effect
Causative
verbs make other verbs act.
They cause actions to occur.
Both of
the previous sentences contained causative verbs.
“Causative verbs make other verbs act. They cause actions to occur.”
e.g. make
I made my son clean
up his room
V causes V
‘made’
causes ‘clean’
The most
frequently-used causative verbs are as follows:
help, tell,
ask, allow, invite, motivate, encourage, get, convince, persuade, hire, assist,
permit, force, require. etc.
Other ones are let and make.
Which of these causative do you know already?
Examples:
-help= special- both ways are fine, same meaning, choose either way or
use both
I helped my sister to do her project.
I helped my sister do her project.
-tell
I told my friend to stop crying.
I told my friend stopping crying. XXX
-help
I help my sister (with her homework). (prepositional phrase)
I help my sister with V her homework. SIMPLE SENTENCE
I help my sister to do/ do/ to finish / finish / to complete / complete her
homework. CAUSATIVE VERB
-ask
Mei asked her sister to pick up her kids at
school.
I ask my friend to close the window.
She asked her sister to use her car.
ALTERNATIVE
She asked her sister if she could use
her car.
-invite
I invited my friend to come to my party.
CAUSATIVE
I invited my friend to come to my party.
I invited my friend (to my
party). NOT CAUSATIVE- prep phrase
*I invited my friend to come to my party.
CAUSATIVE
*I invited my friend to my party.
*Meaning seems about the same. Your choice.
-motivate(v)- give someone a reason to act
motive(n) reason, goal
Shira motivated me to achieve my goals.
Mika motivates herself every day to strive in her work.
VOCAB strive(v) work hard, attempt with enthusiasm
The coach motivated the players to do better in the second
half..
-encourage-
VOCAB courage(n)- bravery, fortitude, inner strength
courageous(adj)
The courageous cat scared the bear away.
VOCAB determination(n)- the drive to keep going, never quit
determined(adj) She is very determined to get into Langara.
-encourage
My mom encourages me to keep studying.
I encourage adult students to use English outside of
the classroom.
Visa and Mastercard encourage people
to spend money that they do
not have.
get- might be an unusual usage for you, AUTHENTIC USAGE, WILL NOT BE IN
GRAMMAR BOOK
She got a new pair of glasses. SIMPLE
CAUSATIVE got- make/ask
I got my daughter to pick me up at the airport.
ask/make
I got my hairdresser to cut my hair.
I got my hairdresser to give me a perm.
VOCAB perm- permanent- wave or curl in your hair that lasts several months
She got her hairdresser to colour her hair.
colour- dye
The teacher gets the class to put away their
phones away during tests.
convince- persuade, talk somebody into doing or thinking something
I couldn’t convince the salesperson to give me a 20% discount.
I couldn’t convince the client to buy
the product.
I couldn’t convince my son to don’t
not use the phone all the time.
ALTERNATIVES
I couldn’t convince my son not to use
the phone all the time.
I couldn’t convince my son to stop
using the phone all the time.
I couldn’t convince my teacher to give
me high marks.
My friend is trying to convince me to join the church.
-persuade
I persuaded my mother to let me go on a trip. two
causative verbs
The little kid persuaded his mother to buy him some candy.
-hire- give a job
She hired a guy to mow her lawn.
We hired a tutor to help my son with his
math.
The elderly man hired a personal trainer
to create a weight-lifting program
for him.
assist
Dr. Jeffry Life assists people to get into the best
shape of their lives.
IDIOM She is in the best shape of her life. She is ripped.
IDIOM rip off- cheat or take money
The new iphone for $1500 seems like a rip-off to me.
$1500 – one thousand, five hundred
fifteen hundred
assist(v)- help, give assistance to BUSINESS FEEL, JOB FEEL
helper assistant
The advisors assist students to
register for courses.
The salesperson assisted my mother to choose a basic cell
phone.
The nurse assisted the patient to get out of the hospital
bed.
A CDA assists a dentist to treat patients.
CDA- certified dental assistant
VCC CDA Program - 99% women
-assist(n)- sports, goals
My teammate got an assist on my goal. I got the goal. She got the assist.
Her bicycle has power assist. It is an ebike
-permit(v)- allow OFFICIAL SOUNDING, LAW
You are not permitted to enter/park/smoke.
The city does not permit you to put a fence over four feet tall in your
front yard.
permit(n) – permission
She buys a monthly parking permit.
PRONUNCIATION
permit(v)
permit(n)
Kermit’s permit permits him to park his car.
Kermit the Frog
Miss Piggy
-force- very strong, make somebody do something against their will force
my two gerbils to exercise.
He forces his kids to study hard.
I used to force my kids to practice piano. Now they hate piano.
The Canadian government forced Indigenous people to learn English.
I sometimes have to force my dog to go to the park.
Coyotes are dangerous to small animals.
Coyotes hunt in packs.
pack- a group of dogs, coyotes, wolves
- a pride of lions
- a herd of horses, cows, sheep, goats
baby sheep- lamb
baby goat- kid
baby dog- puppy
baby cat- kitten
baby horse- foal
baby cow, elephant, whale- calf
baby fish- fry
baby frog- tadpole
Some people eat frogs legs.
baby kangaroo- joey
A scientific study suggests that if you look are pictures of cute animals
before a test, you will do better in the test.
-require(v)- to be necessary
You are required to have English 12, Chemistry 12 and Math 12 to get into
BCIT.
We are required to bring our
passports when we travel by air.
passive voice
The law requires you to have your drivers
license when you are driving a car.
active voice
SPECIAL
let- allow
make- like ‘force’
let- allow
Mei allowed her kids to play video games for
two hours.
Mei let her kids to play video games for
two hours.
Mei let her kids play video games for
two hours.
‘let’ is much more high-frequency
He let you borrow his car.
He allowed you to borrow his car.
She lets her dog sleep on her bed.
She allowed her dog to sleep on her bed.
MANDARIN ‘let’ – bigger meaning than in English
-make – like ‘force’, less strong
I made my kids brush their teeth when
they were little.
UBC didn’t make me take second-year Spanish because I am a native Spanish
speaker. I did a challenge exam instead.
The grade one teacher made the kids sit down.
SIMPLE FUTURE
I will persuade Joe to come to the party.
I will get someone to fix the door.
Hollie will ask/tell her to teach Comp 12 in November.
Let’s take a few minutes a practice. Let’s write some sentences with causative
verbs from our own imagination. Please work together if you like.
motivate
She motivated herself to learn Spanish.
The grammar is as follows:
SUBJECT + causative
verb + OBJECT + infinitive.
I told my daughter to put the dishes away.
help
SPECIAL ‘let’ ‘make’
SUBJECT + causative
verb + OBJECT + base verb.
I let my daughter play video games for an
hour.
He made the dog sleep downstairs.
EXAMPLES
OF CAUSATIVE VERBS
The mother convinced her shy son to play with
the other kids.
The salesperson convinced the customer to buy
a luxury car.
I convinced my husband to go to the doctor.
I encourage myself to improve my English.
Kokob hired a plumber to fix my sink.
She was hired by the boss to finish the
project. passive voice
I hired a lawyer to represent/advocate for me
in court.
We made the kids clean up their rooms.
She let her son have two desserts.
Listening fun
1.
one tenth 1/10
1. What is one
tenth of 40? 1/10
2. What object
is hidden for a short time during a lunar eclipse?
lunar- moon solar-sun
3. Why can’t
plants grow at night? no sun,
photosynthesis
4. Which
produces light: a star or a planet?
5. How much is
14 + 15 +16?
fractions
¼ - one fourth, one quarter
1/3 – one third
2/3 – two thirds
¼ - one quarter
¾ - three quarters
½ - one half
3/5 – three fifths
6. Which will
dissolve in water: salt, sand, or gravel
pebbles -round smooth rocks, gravel- rough
angular rock
7. What is 10%
of 100.
8. How many
strings are on a violin?
9. Does the sun
rise in the west or in the east?
No comments:
Post a Comment