Friday, 7 August 2026

Summer EF7/10 Class 24

 

Summer English Foundations 7/Composition and Literary Studies 10

Good morning, everyone.

 

Today’s Agenda - Final day

·      Attendance

·      Return everything

Go over replacement quiz- no RW

·      FOR FUN Vocabulary exercises

·      Non-instructional day

No quizzes or tests

You can stay or go- up to you.

I will finish final marks and comments.

One-on-one conferences about final reports, if you want.

You can get your final report from the office usually the next

week. Ask in the office.

 

It will have the final mark and the comments:

ORAL   WRITTEN   NEXT STEPS

 

Month off!!

Back on Tuesday, September 8th?

 

**

Goalsetting- valuable exercise

life goals, professional goals, relationship goals

 

 

**

Optional replacement quiz and/or test (90m)

If you don’t want to do either of them, you can go and enjoy the smoky day.

 

TITLE: Replacement Quiz- Replace Quiz # ?

*If you forgot to tell me which quiz you wanted replaced, I just added the REPL Quiz onto your total.

 

Write an appropriate sentence for each.

SIMPLE SENTENCES

1. SSV         interview  

Jun and Mei had an interview yesterday. noun

Jun and Mei interviewed for the job yesterday. verb

will interview /are going to interview

Jun and Mei have done many interviews over the past two months. present perfect

 

2. Interrogative   health

How is your health these days?

Has your mother’s health improved? present perfect

Has your mother’s health gotten better? present perfect

get   got   gotten

His health gets better every day.

His health is getting better every day.

Her health got worse after Covid.

The baby’s health has gotten better over the past two weeks.

 

COMPOUND SENTENCES

3. also         vacation   ; punc

Mika will take a vacation to Paris; also, she will visit her sister in Frankfurt.

 

 

4. so            practice   , punc

He can’t skate very well, so he has to practice. modals

Misha’s parents made/make her practice piano for two hours everyday, so now she hates piano.

causative verb

 

-mixing verb tenses – made hates

 

A dog bit her when she was a little girl; now, she is afraid of dogs.

 

A dog bit her when she was a little girl.   the dog bit her once

A dog used to bite her when she was a little girl.   all the time

 

 

I walked to school every day when I was a kid.

I used to walk to school every day when I was a kid. modal

I used to play video games when I was a kid.

I walk to school every day.

 

MODAL used to – habitual action in the past

The little kid used to be afraid of ghosts. He is not any more.

The mother used to drive her kids to school. Now they take the bus.

 

The little kid would be afraid of ghosts at night.

The mother would drive her kids to school when it was rainy.

 

When we were first married, we would go out to eat a lot. Now, we cook at home.

 

NEXT STEP TO EXPLORE ON YOUR OWN

-deep dive on modals-

Understanding and Using English Grammar, Betty Azar (blue edition)

-daily usage of English, listening and copying authentic English speakers

 

COMPLEX SENTENCES

5. since       moved

Shira has been happy since her husband moved/passed away.

 

6. that        said

We said that we will leave at 9am next Monday.

 

 

TITLE: Replacement Test- Replace Test # ?

Write a paragraph of at least 150 words on the following topic.

What are your next steps for learning English?

 

 

Title: Surprise Quiz/Pop Quiz

 

Write an appropriate sentence for each.

SIMPLE SENTENCES

1. SV            tomorrow

We are off tomorrow.

2. SVV         always

The spoiled little boy always whines and complains.

COMPOUND SENTENCES

3. so            try

We can’t find a path down the mountain, so we have to keep trying.

Esther Way got lost in Golden Ears, so she had to survive on her own for several days.

 

4. but          buy

I want to buy a new phone, but I don’t have enough money.

 

COMPLEX SENTENCES

5. if              take

Take a granola bar if you are hungry.

6. because honest

She always tells the truth because honesty is the best policy.

 

IDIOM white lie- a small lie to save somebody’s feelings

IDIOM If you can’t say anything/something nice, don’t say anything at all.

 

expediency- to get things done quickly and efficiently

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment