Summer English Foundations 7/Composition and Literary
Studies 10
Good morning, everyone.
Today’s Agenda
·
Attendance
·
Quiz 4- adjective clauses (25m)
·
Return Test 2
Go over
VOCAB advices,
advice, pieces of advice
immigrate, emigrate
Parallelism- advanced sentence writing, writing style
Opportunity to RW for one point- pass in today or
first thing tomorrow
·
Continue with essay work
·
Verb tense exercises from last week
·
Finish leftovers- work we haven’t finished
·
Begin sentence combining
Wednesday
·
Return Quiz 4
Go over
Optional RW for one point
·
Essay work
·
Finish leftovers
·
Continue sentence combining
Thursday
·
Continue essay
·
Continue sentence combining
·
Optional opportunity to do one replacement quiz
and/or one replacement test (last 1hr30m)
Friday- Final day
·
Return everything
·
FOR FUN Vocabulary exercises
·
Marks due by 9am
Non-instructional day
No quizzes or tests
One-on-one conferences about
final reports, if you want.
You can get your final report
from the office usually the next
week. It will have the final mark
and the comments:
ORAL WRITTEN
NEXT STEPS
·
Cathleen’s class will watch a movie, The Truman
Show
comedy, strange, not weird comedy
9:30- the end
Month off!!
Back on Tuesday, September 8th?
**
IDIOM out to lunch- disorganized, not with it
I am out to lunch today.
**
Return Test 2
Paragraph
-150-200 ww
-Format
-Structure
Grabber(optional, but recommended)
Topic sentence- address the question directly
Supporting sentences- 3-4 points
Concluding sentence
-Quality of sentences
real English sentences
SIMPLE
COMPOUND
COMPLEX
verb tense
verb form
punctuation . , ;
spelling
preposition – tricky, but do not impede meaning
**
Skills of being a good learner
1.self-motivated
2.self-assessing
3.self-correcting
*Be open to instruction
VOCAB
advices, advice, pieces of advice
Her mother gave her some good advice. uncountable/non-count
nouns
Her mother gave her some good pieces of advice.
The kid had two pieces of pizza/cake/chicken.
I had a piece of cake. I had a cake.
She ate a chicken. She ate a piece of chicken.
End of the course- PLOs Prescribed Learning Outcomes
*immigrate, emigrate
immigrate(v) to come into a country as a newcomer
Mei immigrated to Spain.
emigrate(v) to permanently leave a country
Shira emigrated from Iran. She immigrated to Canada.
Opportunity to RW for one point- pass in today or first
thing tomorrow
Pass it in today or first thing tomorrow.
EXAMPLES
*RO
RO- run-on sentence
Don’t give your phone number to strangers you will get hundreds
of scam calls.
FIXES
Don’t give your phone number to strangers. You will get hundreds
of scam calls.
Don’t give your phone number to strangers, or you will get hundreds
of scam calls.
Don’t give your phone number to strangers; otherwise, you
will get hundreds of scam calls.
*CS comma splice
Don’t give your phone number to strangers, you will get hundreds
of scam calls.
FIXES
Don’t give your phone number to strangers. You will get hundreds
of scam calls.
Don’t give your phone number to strangers; otherwise, you
will get hundreds of scam calls.
Don’t give your phone number to strangers, or you will get hundreds
of scam calls.
**
Parallelism
parallel
– geometry, math
Parallelism is a higher-level aspect of writing style. Parallelism means using words
and phrases that are similar or in structure or form. This adds symmetry,
strength, and balance to your writing.
symmetry-
the same on both sides
Get my
good side!
Words, phrases, and clauses have to go together,
just like clothes. If they don’t go together well, they clash. When your
writing clashes with itself, readers lose confidence and they stop reading.
Make sure words and phrases in a series match within
your sentences. Adjectives go with adjectives, nouns go with nouns, and verbs
go with verbs- including verb tense. This is also true for adjective/noun
combinations and clauses.
A few examples of parallelism within sentences:
1.
You need to work quickly and decisively. adv
You need to work quickly, decisively, and careful. XXX
You need to work quickly, decisively, and carefully.
2.
This is not only just what I wanted, but also just what I needed.
3.
The municipal government needs to reduce spending or (to) raise taxes.
The municipal government needs to reduce spending or raise taxes.
4.
She is sneaky and manipulative. adj
5.
Mei was was very busy gathering the laundry, dusting the furniture and washing the dishes.
Exercise 1- Easier sentences.
Fix the parallelism error in each sentence. Write the
corrected sentences on your own paper.
1.
She likes
reading, to swim, and biking.
She likes reading, swimming, and biking.
She likes to read, swim, and bike.
2.
He is smart,
hardworking, and has kindness.
He is smart, hardworking, and kind.
3.
My goal is to
graduate, getting a good job, and I want to travel.
My goals are to graduate, get a good job, and travel.
4.
The teacher
asked us to finish the homework, study for the test, and review notes.
5.
They spent
the day cleaning the house, cooking dinner, and watching
movies. gerunds
6.
The new
student is friendly, helpful, and caring. adj
caring
The style is neat, elegant, and stylish.
7.
I enjoy drawing,
painting, and designing clothes.
gerunds
8.
She wants
fame, to be rich, and being successful.
FIXES
She wants fame, riches/money/wealth,
and success. nouns
She wants to be famous,
rich/wealthy, and successful. adj
9.
The dog was
running in the yard, barking loudly, and chasing a squirrel.
RW
The dog was running and barking in
the yard while it was chasing a squirrel. COMPLEX SENTENCE
The dog was running and barking in
the yard while chasing a squirrel.
10.He promised that he would
study hard, exercise daily, and eat healthy food.
Exercise 2- More challenging sentences.
Fix the parallelism error in each sentence. Write
the corrected sentences on your own paper.
1.
The manager
values honesty, hard work, and creativity in her employees.
2.
She decided to
apply for the scholarship, attend the interview, and submit
her portfolio early.
3.
The new
policy aims to reduce costs, improve efficiency, and increase customer
satisfaction.
4.
He enjoys hiking
in the mountains, swimming in the ocean, and biking long distances/going
on long bike rides.
5.
The professor
expected students to complete the assignment on time, participate in
class discussions, and conduct independent research/ conduct research
independently.
6.
The charity
focuses on providing food to families, education for children,
and support for healthcare programs.
7.
The job
requires strong communication skills, ability to solve problems
quickly, and attention to detail.
8.
She is known
for her abilities to lead, mentor younger colleagues, and inspire
confidence in others.
VOCAB mentor(n)- a person who teaches and guides a younger
member of a group
9.
The committee
plans to review the proposal carefully, discuss possible revisions,
and take a final vote.
10.
Success in
life depends on working hard, staying
determined, and having
clear goals.
Success in life depends on hard
work, determination, and clear goals.
**
Modals-
authentic usage
*may
May I borrow your pencil?
I may might go to the party.
*should
You should exercise at least three times a week.
*ought to- authentic, not as common as ‘should’
You should/ought to exercise at least three times a week.
*had better-strong advice
You had better take
your car to the repair shop/garage/dealer.
CASUAL You better take
your car in.
*be supposed to- obligation, expectation
I am supposed to go to my sister’s party, but I think I’ll bail.
VOCAB SLANG bail- not go after you said they you would go
bail- bail out
The pilot bailed out of the plane.
Sorry for bailing last minute.
*must / have to – necessary, a necessity
*have got to- very strong ‘must’, absolutely necessary
You have got to pay your late taxes, or you will go to jail.
*will
*be going to
*can
Could/Can/May I borrow your pencil?
may- most polite
*
*be able to- shows ability
She was not able to fix my laptop.
*would
Would you mind if I pat your dog?
*used to- something you did in the past, but not anymore
She used to live in Iran, but now she lives in the UK.
I used to be pretty when I was young.
He used to be shy.
*can/could
I can speak French.
I could speak French when I was a kid.
could- possibility
I could take my car tomorrow.
can- ability
I can take my car tomorrow.
EXPRESSION
I would if I could.
I would if I could, but I can’t, so I won’t. FUNNY-SOUNDING
My mother has a dry sense of humour.
black humour/dark humour- funny but upsetting to some people
No comments:
Post a Comment